Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

RTG 6" Scoop

surf fisherman

Anyone have this style scoop with the wire mesh at the rear of the scoop?
Thinking about getting one. Model number is RTG 6sr.
Pros and Cons?

http://www.rtgstore.com/scoops/rtgbb6screenbig5.jpg

Thanks....surf fisherman >)))">

My SS RTG scoop first cracked at the weld to the basket, then last weekend a handle snapped so I would not recoment them for a scoop...

I have been looking at this one, it is all stainless even the wire mesh
ScoopsUnlimWood.jpg

I had the pleasure of visiting RTG a couple weeks ago. It's a nice operation; friendly, helpful.

I've use their 6 inch diameter aluminum scoop, not the one with the mesh bottom though; a 5 inch diameter aluminum travel scoop and a long handle dry sand scoop. The only one I've bent is the dry sand scoop trying to dig too much wet sand. I like the 6 inch diameter. The 5 inch diameter fits the suitcase but does not dig as deep as I'd like on the first scoop and the hole files in too quick; making a third, fourth or more scoops to get the target more likely than with the 6 inch diameter scoop. The holes let small things like earring studs drop right through; but small holes don't sift well. Sometimes I wish for smaller holes, if I have a lot of shells or gravel, I wish for bigger holes. The mesh sifts faster than the drilled or punched round holes do.

I did what GraveDiggerMax suggested and painted the handles of the sand scoops with rustoleum bed liner spray. Makes a huge difference in grip on the handle. Before the spray, I was thinking of welding a pull handle on to lift the scoop when loaded up, now I don't think I will.
tvr

Got 3 Rielys scoops, the longnose SS, and two short handle 14 and 28, had no problems with any, I would recommend them anytime. The one you are talking about Rtg aluminum, I have the Babbs version, {worked great other then the sleeve that holds the two piece handle together striped out, fixed helicoil & ducktape}, I like the way the sand goes thur easier with the wiremesh, but the aluminum scoops just don't cut into the sand like a stainless steel, even with the SS tip, and with the SS scoops the sand just comes out easier. But SS is heavier, So My perfect scoop is to have one that is lite weight, Stainless steel, sifts fasts, and cuts into the sand like a knife...............Well I found one! Diablo!! Still in the early stages, proto type, SS, fiberglass handle, sifts faster then any scoop I have ever seen. I will be putting it to the test in few weeks along with video of it in use.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B7gRygeYoA&feature=player_embedded

This is the Aluminum Babbs version of the scoop you have pictured....near the end of the Video in use.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfpkDx2Ze2I

My RTG works real good but those 5/8" holes let the small stuff fall out, a real pain in the surf.....A lightweight SS sounds good. HH

I have 2 of their travel scoops. One is a monster and the other is a 6" and they work great. Both are aluminum. I use aluminum gutter screen in the bottoms so I don't lose ear rings. Grave Digger Max has pictures of a homemade carrier that goes on your belt you can modify to suit yourself and it works great. You might do a search about a month back. HH :minelab:

Thanks everyone for all the replies. I have a TCS travel 5" s.s with the stainless handle like the one pictured dld posted, works great in dry sand! but looking to get a one piece 6" light weight scoop for a bigger bite in the wet sand as tvr mentioned. Old Beechnut, the prototype scoop looks great. Is it a 6" basket? weight? Curious how it is without a kick plate in the rear. Be looking forward for your test results and video. The RTG screened model looks like a good scoop for both wet and dry sand.

...... surf fisherman >)))">

OldBeechnut,
I like the looks of the hole size and spacing!! Am thinking a little longer nose on it.

And looking forward to your thoughts about it in use!!!!
Cheers,
tvr

The scoop is 6.5 X 12 inchs, weights in at 4.3 lbs. Lighter then a Aluminum scoop this size, this is just a test run on the scoop, I asked about a Adjustable handle, longer nose and smaller holes toward the back, so............He has came up with a adjustable handle {more weight}, maybe if I can get a few more post on the smaller holes toward the back like the stealth, and as far as the longer nose....I would like that, But.......... the major issue is the weight, I'm 58, some what good shape because of the work I'm in, And thinking about the future...when I'm 70 I want a scoop that is Lite in weight....and 4.3 pounds is about as good as it gets in SS, adding more to the nose? The designer was so Critical of the weight after each section was welded........... it was weighted and tested on a test simulator to see how much was needed to pass the test. Then a new scoop, same design was put together with a more holes, lighter sections, welded and tested. He is very confident in the design and duribility that he is offering a Lifetime warranty. But I'm guessing, It won't be ready for production until next year, because after I'm done a month with the scoop, it's going off to someone else to test, who hunts several days a week and 4 to 6 hours a day.. year round. I have used the scoop once so far and very impressed, it will be interesting a second, maybe a 3rd opinion......... then back home to see how it fares...............joe

OldBeechnut said:
The scoop is 6.5 X 12 inchs, weights in at 4.3 lbs. Lighter then a Aluminum scoop this size, this is just a test run on the scoop, I asked about a Adjustable handle, longer nose and smaller holes toward the back, so............He has came up with a adjustable handle {more weight}, maybe if I can get a few more post on the smaller holes toward the back like the stealth, and as far as the longer nose....I would like that, But.......... the major issue is the weight, I'm 58, some what good shape because of the work I'm in, And thinking about the future...when I'm 70 I want a scoop that is Lite in weight....and 4.3 pounds is about as good as it gets in SS, adding more to the nose? The designer was so Critical of the weight after each section was welded........... it was weighted and tested on a test simulator to see how much was needed to pass the test. Then a new scoop, same design was put together with a more holes, lighter sections, welded and tested. He is very confident in the design and duribility that he is offering a Lifetime warranty. But I'm guessing, It won't be ready for production until next year, because after I'm done a month with the scoop, it's going off to someone else to test, who hunts several days a week and 4 to 6 hours a day.. year round. I have used the scoop once so far and very impressed, it will be interesting a second, maybe a 3rd opinion......... then back home to see how it fares...............joe

The Diablo design looks superb.

I've said it many times before but the first scoop when digging the target is the hardest.

Pointed nose scoops or those with a "V" bottom profile are no good. They allow scoops to pivot on these areas which is bad.

Just take a look at any normal digging tool.......flat or slightly rounded ends top and bottom.

Tony.

Heres a scoop site.....I have owned one of these scoops for a while and use it regularly in conjuction with my Whites DF....very strong and well built

Scoop size - 280mm L x 150mm diameter x 1.6mm thick
model LHOZ

GONGA said:
Heres a scoop site.....I have owned one of these scoops for a while and use it regularly in conjuction with my Whites DF....very strong and well built

Scoop size - 280mm L x 150mm diameter x 1.6mm thick
model LHOZ
http://ozscoop.com.au/

Thanks Gonga...they look very good and a nice digging design.

Tony.

If you order a scoop, ask if "it is returnable should you not like it after using it for 20 - 30 min" I bought a scoop from Kellyco waited with baited breath for it to arrive, off to the beach I went and! The scoop was great the handle was too short, thought after 10 digs " I will send it back and get the next size larger, not so, they do not take returns on scoops no matter how little they have been used.
Before I buy another scoop I want to actually TRY IT OUT FIRST:crylol:

Gerry

I've got the RTG at the top of the thread with the wire bottom ..... I had it made out of aluminum with a S.S. tip rivetted on for better wear and tear ....... I like it a lot ....That bar on the back allows for some good foot action for DEEP digging ....You can put some weight on it without fear of collapse ....Nice people at RTG too !!...Jim