Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Royal and Mike, have you ever been attacked by one of those big eels with................

Kelley (Texas)

big, sharp teeth? I think the eel is called a moras eel or something like that. They often live in a hole in a rock or something similar. It is my understanding that they are extremely dangerous and can kill you. Kelley (Texas) :)

but never been bothered by them. The biggest are the greens. I saw one diving off Cozumel that was as big around as my leg! I bet 5 ft of him came out of the hole in the reef and most of him was still hidden

I was diving off Bonaire and saw one but not much of him. there was a hole in the coral, about the size of a big coffee can and it was solid greed. It was the side of a green moray. I did not pester him.

We see lots of spotted morays. They are small. Morays are not as mean as they look to be though. It is just the teeth and the way they breathe. Looks terrible but if I was you and saw one I would pet it :wiggle:

I saw a movie one time where one of those eels with the big teeth killed a man looking for some lost treasure. They are designed to bite you, why else would they have big teeth...surely not to kiss you! Kelley (Texas) :)

They will avoid you.. I have only heard on one instance where anyone got hassled by a wolf eel... And that fellow was just plain stupid for trying to PULL the eel from its' home. When I was in Mexico, I saw quite a few morays... never once had any problems with them

So, contrary to the movie, The Deep', they are pretty well complacent when divers are around. But I still liked the wet t-shirt in the movie.. :D:

calm seas

micheal

and stuck my arm under that edge where Jackie B stuck hers. It was the Rhone. I am not sure now but I think that was off Tortola.

If you liked that T-shirt, get a copy of an old movie called Boy on a Dolphin. It has Sophia Lauren in it and ...... OH MY GOD!!!! Worth watching and when I saw it I was in school and I sunburned my eyeballs!!

That eel was big and mean...lived in a hole in the rocks. Someone once told me that those eels could bite your leg off, have it in it's mouth, and swallow it before you can yell for help. The eel in that movie had a bad attitude. Kelley (Texas) :)

The movie 'The Deep' with Nick Nolte and Jacqueline Bisset was filmed in Bermuda and is based on a true story and wreck. Friends of mine were hired by the director to build the Moray eel in the film.
Jackie B sure does look sweet in that wet T-shirt.:thumbup:

n/t

which is http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075925/

It is off a small island. Crystal clear water and the ship is in pretty poor condition but for salt water, pretty good condition.

http://www.divesitedirectory.co.uk/dive_site_caribbean_british_virgin_islands_wreck_rms_rhone.html

Yes that is right. The Rhone is off Salt Island, which is close to Tortola where I got the dive boat

[attachment 144441 rhone.jpg]

Peter Benchley was a long time friend of the famous treasure hunter Teddy Tucker and the story is based upon some of Teddy's adventure with a bunch of jazzing up for the sake of Hollywood. Teddy actually makes a cameo appearance in the movie and he does so on the public wharf that is just down the street from me. If I recall correctly the actual ship that the story is based upon is The Constellation which is on the bottom just off of Elbow Beach in Bermuda, she carried a WWI cargo of morphine and artillery shells. The shells and the ampules of morphine would often wash up on the beach after a hurricane and swimmers would be tempted to swim out to the wreck from the Elbow Beach Hotel, so for the sake of public safety (not a very Bermudian thing) the wreck was blown up by Teddy Tucker.

Interesting stuff, especially if you are in Bermuda.

Cheers All,

BDA:cool:

We would catch some really big ugly eels. We drag four nets, 2 per side. when we opened the nets the bag lines were about 5 foot long and the catch would start falling out, you would keep an eye out for eels. They would be in pure pissed off mode. Many times when we would get a green horn on the boat, we would see these kids screaming as a eel would have there slicker suit pants leg, a eel would shake his head just like a dog. It would scare the crap out of a person. I have see eels 7' to 8' foot long with a mouth fool of long sharp teeth. These eels would be a pinkish purple color. We would push the catch up in a pile, to start heading out the shrimp. A eel if he ever got a hold of you would do some real damage to a person. They would side like a snake on deck, we would work them over to the side of the boat to the scuffle hoe and open it to get them off the boat. I would not feed one or even get close to one if I where a diver. I see those guys on TV messing around with them, something I know I won't do. If you ever get a chance to see one up close they are scary looking too.

But snorkeled a lot off the Jetties in Port Aransas, never saw a eel there and only a few sharks and tons of different kind of fish. But I wont play with any thing with teeth and a brain with two functions sex and eating. That's why the crocodile guy is dead. Messing with something he wasn't sure about. A snake on land is bad enough to mess with, but in the water we don't stand a chance, that is my belief. I love the Marine life to see it but I don't want to feed it out of my hand. The same with a crocodile. Kinda like playing with a cute little monkey, sooner or later you will get bit and it will just not bite one time it's like eating corn on the cob in fast forward up and down your arm. I was bad about messing with animals when I was young, but after a couple good old fashion Azz whoopins with wild animals I learned not to mess with them. In the water I think every thing bites, sticks or will just eat you so don't jack with it. I would save a small pile of fish to feed the Dolphins after we cleaned the deck, but I was on the boat and they where in the water, I would throw it in the water. We had a Albatross land on the boat one time he was sick or hurt. They are a like the size of two sea gulls. he stayed on the boat for three or four days. He stayed on the stern of the boat on a couple nets we torn up. When we would dump or nets he would get off the nets come down and get something to eat and go back and eat it. One morning he ate and flew up to the hand rail sit there for a few minutes, and then just flew off. I can tell you we gave him all the room he wanted. I was blessed to see things I saw off shore, and gain the respect for the water I hold. In the water I still don't believe we know what all is down there. My biggest fear working off shore was to fail over the boat at night. That's when every thing is out, dinning. I can tell you it is dark out there too. I know there is no way I would go night diving. All those eyes shining in the edge of the light. To Me that is fear factor.