Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ron J-Lisence Plates :thumbup:KENTUCKY / LOUISIANA / MAINE`

Ron J

Treasure Hunting, and Treasures, can mean many different things, to different people. We all have FAMILY TREASURE's, wife? Husband, boyfriend, girlfriend,:D:, children, Grandchildren, Mom's,Dad's ,Aunts/Uncles etc. Very Important we never loose focus on these treasures. None of them can be replaced, well except wive's or girlfreinds anyway!:D: Another "TREASURE" is personal hobbies,collecting different things, etc. The REAL "TREASURE" is the HUNT itself,chasing leads,locating the the treasure,whatever it my be. Then the haggling to own,whatever it is your chasing! The best is yet to come...SHOWING OFF your TREASURE! Right or Wrong? Now we all know the TWO different TREASURES don't mix. FAMILY FIRST! After FAMILY,go for it! Of course you need a job, or a rich wife/girlfriend to pay for this madness,we have! Before MetalDetecting became part of my life,it was MuscleCars of the Sixties,primarily GTO's,But nothing like a Monte Carlo,Gran Sport,or 442 in the mix! Prior to MuscleCars,it was Auto License Plates! (i have mentioned this in the past) It started when i was 16. Visited an ol timers barn,to eyeball a Model T. On the wall was a license plate from EVERY STATE! Woww Baby! That got me started,not big time,but i was on the prowl! Over the next few yrs,events happened,marriage,(defunct after 10 yrs)two wonderful daughters,etc. Back then,early 70's started collecting with an impossible goal,of getting every year of every state! Sure! Acquired hundreds of plates,but took awhile to realize i was an idiot! So i weeded out the crap,and decided to collect the FIRST YEAR of the 50 States,and any porcelain license plates that was produced.Again it took a few years,this was about 80 percent obtainable,overtime. I knew there were a few states,i could NEVER get. Such as ALASKA for one! Even today, there is less than a handful known.I only saw a photo of one,back then.A good friend,and collector,had the photo.The plate belonged to an Alaska pipeline worker,still in Alaska.My buddy was trying to purchase it,never did. This was a 1921 Alaska.Actually called a Pre-state,cause Alaska,as we now,did not become a State till the sixties, but it was the first year,Alaska issued automobile plates,so it was needed! Anyway, i did build up a very large/very expensive license plate collection. Went as far i could go,and finally sold them. That's when the Musclecar Bug hit me.My licenseplate buddys still raz me,about when i was asked back then,(mid-eighties)"Why are you selling?" My was reply was "Cause i can't Drive Them!" In looking thru an album,i have,i had hoped to at least get a picture of Each First Year,and ALL Porcelain License Plates,from EVERY STATE! I will be posting photo's by state in the coming days. I don't have all the states,as i wished,but have enough. I won't publish what i think any values are,cause i would be taking an educated guess. Plates are like coins,Condition,Scarcity,Lowest number of digits,occasionally the highest number of digits. Southern and Western states are the toughest.New England is common in most cases.I can tell you this,if you owned all the plates i will show,and sold them,you could retire,very easily. Most came from an ex N.H.State Rep,Stan H. or Mike, from MA. or myself. Like i mentioned earlier,the HUNT was the best part of collecting.I Met many friends,i still have today.We traveled to many states,for National Meets,dedicated to license plates.There is a National Meet held every June,in a different state every year.They were usually 3 day meets! I attended meets as far back as 1974,in ENID Oklahoma! Attended meets in Michigan,at the University of Michigan,also Tennesee,Kentucky,New York and others.Had a great time at each one,and will never forget them. Some of these trips turned into adventures in themselves. Ever blow a waterpump on the Trans Canadian Highway,and your from Massachusetts? Ya it was still exciting every moment of hunt![attachment 46619 ScannedImage-122.jpg] Early part of my collection in 1980 or so. I hung them all up,for a group photo. The hair/stache were alot darker! :) All pictured would be between 1903 to 1918! Just want to mention,New York was the FIRST STATE to issue a number for your horseless carriage! Too many accidents in NYC. Massachsuetts,was the FIRST STATE to issue LICENSE PLATES,EVER,in 1903! They started with NUMBER 1 and continued until 1907. In 1908,Mass. started issuing plates yearly,letting owners keep the same number.In 1916,Mass issued plates hitting SIX DIGITS! I will post pictures of 2 or three states at a time,maybe more,i'll see how it goes. If it gets sickening,let me know,i'll stop! Okay? Sorry,no Canadian,never collected the provinces,but they had them,back then also.

Here we have a first year issue of ALABAMA.PORCELAIN, 1912 Undated In later yrs, "Heart of Dixie" was a slogan on their plates.[attachment 46623 ScannedImage-58.jpg] I have no photo of a first issue ALASKA! Sorry!Actually the first "STATE" issue was 1959!(too new for me) Next we have ARIZONA.1914 A tin plate. Later Arizona used "Grand Canyon State" as a slogan.[attachment 46624 ScannedImage-59.jpg] AND here we have the "Sunny" state, ARKANSAS! PORCELAIN,1911 dated,first issue.[attachment 46625 ScannedImage-60.jpg] Arkansas had 3 porcelain plates.[attachment 46626 ScannedImage-121.jpg]Notice the chipping! Arkansas had a few slogans. Well known is "Land of opportunity". Note: License plate size,was not standardized until 1955/56 in most states! Less digits,smaller the plate! All of these are tough to find in decent shape. Most were dug up,by bottle diggers!

.... I have a member of our coin club who has a similler interest,he has his basement walls full of plates.I gues it doesn't hurt that he works at the government licsense offfice :) ojm bc

i copied this for you.....

Higher registration figures than any other province have made this province the easiest to collect. However the first issue leather plate (1903) is one of the rarest Canadian plates known with less than a dozen surviving example. The two succeeding leather plates are also tough, particularly the one which has "ONTARIO" spelled out. The 1911 porcelain is much more available. The flat tins with the wire rim from 1912 to 16 are available but most examples are rough. Nice examples are very difficult to come by. The flat tin plates from 1917-20 are much easier to find in nice condition, and make a fine display. From 1921 on, all the embossed tin plates are easy to collect, however a lot of years did tend to rust easily. Suprisingly, today's graphic Ontario plate is more difficult than most provinces because of the tight regulations. Most of them are turned back to the issuing office.

Tough paint years: '12, '13*, '15*, '16, '22, '26, '29, '32, '37, '38, '47*
Singles: '03 leather, '43, '45 - '47.

Here we have CALIFORNIA! 1914 first issue/PORCELAIN [attachment 46627 ScannedImage-61.jpg] Note the size! Here is a California "run",the other porcelains.Note,they used the same BASE for 4 yrs,using diiferent attachments![attachment 46628 ScannedImage-124.jpg] Cal. had "Calif Worlds fair" in 1939 as slogan. Here is COLORADO..1913 PORCELAIN.1914/1915 were also porcelain.[attachment 46629 ScannedImage-62.jpg]Colorado had mountains as a background,and "Colorful" as a slogan. Next we have CONNECTICUTT! The Black one is the FIRST ISSUE,mid-1903. Red=1910 white=1911 green=1912 blue=1913,then they are dated.Porcelain till 1916 Again,not the SIZE![attachment 46630 ScannedImage-63.jpg][attachment 46631 ScannedImage-115.jpg]Those single digit plates are in the thousands of $$$!

Here we have DELAWARE PORCELAIN 1909 [attachment 46634 ScannedImage-64.jpg] Delaware also had porcelain including 1915. ISSUED PORCELAIN AGAIN in 1942 thru 1962! VERY VERY Pretigious to have one of these on your car. Delaware plates STAY with the car. And we all know the slogan "THE FIRST STATE". Here is FLORIDA Tin/1918[attachment 46635 ScannedImage-65.jpg] Florida did have Porcelain issues,but were prestates,issued by different citys/counties. Of course "SUNSHINE STATE" slogan! Next GEORGIA 1910 was tin/first year,NO PIC,but we have the ONLY YEAR PORCELAIN 1915! Tough to find. Slogan? why of course! "PEACH STATE"[attachment 46636 ScannedImage-66.jpg] Here is "THE ALOHA STATE" HAWAII Actually 1st STATE issue would be 1959,(too new), Here is a Pre-state from the island or territory,as it would have been.[attachment 46637 ScannedImage-67.jpg]

SORRY! NO IDAHO PHOTO! FIRST ISSUE TIN 1913,Hmmmm? ANYWAY,NEXT IS ILLINOIS TIN 1911 ,Supposed to have a white background/blk letters.[attachment 46639 ScannedImage-69.jpg] Ill. SLOGAN "LAND OF LINCOLN" what else!! No Porcelains issued. Next is INDIANA! FIRST ISSUE 1913 PORCELAIN,and quite colorful.[attachment 46640 Slogans "DRIVE SAFELY" & "HOOSIER STATE" and others. IOWA FIRST ISSUE TIN, 1911 Slogan only in 1953 "THE CORN STATE" and KANSAS FIRST ISSUE TIN 1913, no porcelains. And of course "THE WHEAT STATE" & "MIDWAY USA" THE PICTURES ARE MESSED UP! OOPS AND EXCUSE THE BOOT!

HERE We have KENTUCKY [attachment 46646 ScannedImage-74.jpg]FIRST YR of issue is 1910,but beleive this to be 1911.PORCELAIN [attachment 46645 ScannedImage-73.jpg]Beleive this is 1912 PORCELAIN continued into 1913. Slogan in late 29/30 "PROGRESS" NEXT[attachment 46647 ScannedImage-75.jpg] LOUISIANA FIRST ISSUE TIN 1915. Note: Southern states were harsh on paint.Repaints are acceptable,because of rarity of the southern states!Nobody had garages to hang them in! OF course "Sportsmans Paradise" & "BAYOU STATE" UHH YUHH!! Here's MAINE!! [attachment 46648 ScannedImage-76.jpg]FIRST ISSUE 1905! Here's #78! Could buy a new car or this plate for the same $$ IF it were for sale! Here is a RARE 5 DIGIT plate,highest known number,(1911).This same red base started at #1 on up,till new plates issued in 1912. (We have a breakdown of yrs,by numbers.)[attachment 46650 ScannedImage-77.jpg]

It brought to mind a story that I have chosen to call The Licensed Homestead. Check 'er out.

Thanks for taking the time to post. Otherwise my story would not have been. <><

aj

This was very interesting...I never imagined that folks went to that extent to collect them. Over the years, I have found a few old licence plates and hung them in the barn, but never collected them. Thanks for posting this story, I learned something as well as enjoyed reading it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I did the muscle car thing too. I had [have] a 1963 1/2 ford galaxie 500XL. I tricked it out and had a ball. I eventually gave it to my son on his 16th birthday. He still has it and loves it.

Calm seas

M

and was amazed ! Do you ever regret selling them ? That would surely be a small fortune today. Great story and post !