Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Rome Tack & Nail Company, I know where but not when

jerryk

Folks,

I normally don't visit this forum on a regular basis but with 2000 registered members perhaps someone resides in Rome NY and can provide some assistance.

Below you will see the photo of a small container that was manufactured by the Rome Nail & Tack company of Rome NY. I found this container in an old mining camp located in the mountains of Colorado. The camp resides at an elevation of 12,000 ft and was active during the 1875 - 1900 period.

Since I have both the companies name and town, I'd like to add a few notes to my collection about the company itself. As you can see the container, alhough a bit smushed is in excellent condidion due to its fabrication using brass. As an FYI I use a White's DFX MT

Anyone living in or close to Rome NY who can do a bit of searching of the local historical records for this company would be appreciated.

I have searched the Internet looking for historical records of US companies but my searching thus far as turned up nothing.

Thanks

Jerry K
Falcon, CO

[attachment 32056 Rome-Tack003_edited-1.jpg]

The well preserved condition of the container makes it a very nice show piece. Its condition is a far cry from the condition of an old tobacco container I found in the same general area. Virtually rusted away. But it did cause a small adrenalin spike when I pulled it out of the ground. These containers were prime storage for cash and other valuables. Bummer no luck...

In addition to the use of 4/8 instead of 1/2? Why use brass instead of tin like most other containers of the day? I didn't include the dimensions in my original post. Its 2" in dia and approx 1/4" thick. Just right to fit into a pocket.

Jerry K

copper state and a revere company a direct decedent of Paul revere runs it.do you think they ran brass also? but less profitable now?

www.reverecopper.com & www.Rome new york.com

harry