Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ring Man Wants To Know When Do You Do The Trade Off???

Went to my favorite park today. Total was 152 coins for exactly $10.00. Most of it I had to dig for as there isn't much left on top any more. The question is this........

On my ACE 250 I killed the pennies. Had only four notches on the right and the nickles turned on. I do get tired of pulling pennies some times. The area I worked should have produced something other than coins (but I did find a ton). I turned on jewelery mode for a while but got tired of the dings on pennies. When I got home I did some testing. A very nice 925 ring with some very pretty stones on it I found last weekend DOESN'T SHOW WHEN PENNIES ARE TURNED OFF!!! Gold rings show no problem with the four notches on the right and nickles on. SO????? Where's the trade off? Keep getting penny hits and ignore best you can to find silver rings and such or just look for silver coins, clad coins and wheats and forget the jewels? I thought about going back and cover that same area with jewelery mode but had some things to do. BTW, that ring was found in the same area with jewelery mode on.........And that day I found 34 coins for $3.69..........

I always go for the pennies. In target infested areas, I just use a screwdriver to pop out the targets as fast as I can. I have dug many silver and gold riings on that penny notch. And if you don't....somebudy is going to say that they followed you hunting and post all the rings and things that you left behind. That will really hurt a guys ego amongst a few other things.:ranting:

Thanks to both of you John and Bill for what I had kind of expected. I have done the "dig all targets" or you miss something. Today was a day I just didn't want to dig pennies but then I came to find out that you miss some things that you might want instead. Nature of the instrument. I guess....

All the .925 silver rings i have found hit on quarter. It's the third notch I think. I notch out the zincers and leave dime which gets the "real" pennies and wheats.

[quote awhitster]All the .925 silver rings i have found hit on quarter. It's the third notch I think. I notch out the zincers and leave dime which gets the "real" pennies and wheats.[/quote]
The ring in question marked very clearly and not an "off water" ring, does not show unless you have the fifth notch on. It maybe on the "low" end of silver if that's the case but it's still marked 925. Guess is by me...........

From the land of the Bluenose.....pennies happen! I run my old Garrett on no discrimination and go by sound. There too the rings come up on the bell tone. Part of the hobby I guess and once removed may leave room for the other targets that are ear and underneath. When in the mode ....dig the pennies. Happy hunting!

[quote awhitster]All the .925 silver rings i have found hit on quarter. It's the third notch I think. I notch out the zincers and leave dime which gets the "real" pennies and wheats.[/quote]
I just tested all the marked gold and marked 925 rings I have. The silver ones hit from the right, on the first notch, third, fourth and fifth. Three of them I would have missed with pennies turned off. For the gold rings, from the left they hit at third and fourth but some of them hit on the third and fifth from the right. I think they are the plated ones. Like said, dig the targets and get the rings..........

Understanding how a coil signal works in the ground - one never knows what lies beneath that penny and being masked by same. Many years ago I dug up a flattened out beer can that was full of probe holes but no one bothered to dig it up. I did and there was a complete roll of silver quarters laying beneath the can. Just another one of the wonders and mysteries of detecting. Many a treasure is left behind by those who can't be bothered to investigate. I dug up two stacked pennies the other day that had two quarters and a dime hidden under them but the detector only saw the pennies.. One must remember that your coil signal stops at the first piece of metal it hits no matter what may lay beneath that piece of metal and will detect nothing else until that piece of metal is removed. Lots of goodies are left behind because of that scenario. If one doesn't understand how their detector works they will leave many treasures for someone more knowledgeable to find. I often find coins in dug holes ( and I always check dug holes ) because the last guy didn't re-scan the hole after he dug the first target, or the pile of dirt he left behind if he is a sloppy beeper swinger.

Bill

You'll probably miss IH's with that setting as they are bronze ( and any other bronze object ) and hit below cent where the stinking zinkers hit.

Bill

Yeah plated and different metal compositions hit all over the scale, and with all the foreign rings out there ( especially Chinese and India ) one never knows the actual composition no matter how marked. There is no universal point on the display for rings. My buddy in Texas dug up a hand made Chinese ring of pure 24 KT gold that hit solid on foil. Had he skipped it as junk he would have missed that gem. Speaking of foil - many times over the years I have dug up quarters wrapped in foil ( for whatever reason ). A couple of them were silver. Leave nothing behind and you'll leave nothing behind.

Bill

AS I stated in my other post one can't rely on the markings anymore with all the counterfeiting and junk coming out of foreign countries. The Chinese have no qualms about stamping 925 on a junker. Remember when all real silver was stamped "Sterling". How often do you see that anymore and why?

Bill