Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ring Man Says..NEVER GIVE UP IN YOUR OWN BACK YARD:detecting:

I had already found that 1854 Canadian Bank Token and a mens wedding ring (gold plate stamped but the plate is gone and it's black but a ring is a ring) and a couple of wheaties. Today I thought I'd try some relic hunting and dig targets other than steel. When I first pulled this coin from the ground about 4-5 inches I thought it was a walking quarter. Turns out to be a Silver 1 Franc. The person who put the hole in it for a necklace drilled right through the date..:rant: Looks like the chain or what ever wasn't much since it left a lot of rust behind. The button has a strawberry on it. It was a good 4-5 inches down. My back yard is 5005 square feet. I have covered it with the standard and hockey puck coils and thought I had covered it all. John was right. You never cover it all.

You can't cover it all. I have written several articles to that effect. No matter how much ground you think you are covering up top, down at peak depth your coil signal is covering an area about the size of a quarter. With that in mind one can well visualize how much real estate you are actually missing at depth. Since most coins or rings will fit into a one-inch square and say you are hunting a 10" x 10" area - that area will contain 14,400 square inches or 14,400 potential targets. Now you can see why you can't get it all unless you dig up every square inch in that plot and sift it. The logistics of coinshooting can become mind boggling when you get down to the real facts. The average football or soccer field could contain nearly 500,000 - 600,000 potential targets. How many times would one have to hunt that field to cover every one of those inches? So when someone tells me an area is all hunted out, I just say " phooey."

Even if you overlap each swing 50% you are still missing a ton of real estate at depth. To even come close to covering everything at depth one would have to move their coil ahead one inch at a time each swing and scan in a straight line rather than an arc. One way to find more targets takes a world of patience but works. Stand still and scan every bit of ground in front of you several times, out as far as you can reach in front of you, remembering that one inch of coverage at depth, then stop your coil on the last pass and leave it sit where you stopped it, then walk up to your coil, stop and stand still, and repeat the procedure. If you have the patience try it sometime. You may be surprised at what you find, but don't expect to find a pile of coins every procedure because coins don't drop like rain.

Bill

You mean I have to go out and do it all over again?? Your point is well taken for sure. The coin I found I have been over that area before. MISS...The button was just a different target I decided to dig. Thing is I am getting a lot of far left signals. Steel, foil type. The house was built in 1910. I'm on a corner lot with the whole corner of that 5005 square feet of grass with the house sitting on the very back of the property. A trolly used to come up my street and turn the corner. I know there maybe more stuff out there. But now that I'm buying the place and not renting........well it's my lawn now......ehehehe..