Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ring Man Only Had To Clean Up One School Today..

Went back to a middle school I've worked before but this time I paid more attention to areas where the kids hang out (my bus route goes by there and I can see where the kids hang). Found 57 coins for $2.96, a non metallic necklace (is that a rosary)(it was laying in the grass next to where I was digging a coin) and a really great ring. Marked 925 CZ on the inside. So they aren't real diamonds but it's a ring. Found it about 2 inches deep.........

n/t

[quote DavHut]n/t[/quote]Do you eat meat on Fridays or is fish still the going thing??? Since I'm not Catholic and don't know anything about counting beads and such I have no idea. My neighbor tells me it's just a necklace. Ok.........works for me...........

Hey nice ring. Is it corroded or just the reflections. If it is corroded, it's probably silver over nickel or copper. Post a cleaned pic.

That Friday fasting (abstinence) is mostly a lot of hoohaw, here in America. At least nowadays. Originally it came over from England with the early immigrants, if I remember right.

It started among early CHristians as a remembrance of Jesus's suffering on Good Friday and was a total fasting on that day, as well as Wednesday (the day of Christs betrayal). Later, it served as a personal penance performed throughout the year just on Friday's and in more modern times it continued with the eating of fish on Friday. No meat, eggs or fats were to be consumed on that day, just like during Lenten observations.

Friday abstinence, the "fish on Fridays" you refer to, was once such a serious obligation that it was a distinguishing mark of Catholics everywhere - so much so that it even changed restaurant menu's on that day. I remember this, as we used to go out for a big fish dinner on Fridays when I was a kid (so much for abstinence!).

Some form of abstinence is still encouraged for Catholics on Friday's, per the orignal intent. But, in truth, the whole Friday abstinence thing has been relaxed since 1966, except for all Fridays in Lent, which is still binding.

Currently, US bishops encourage Friday abstinence on behalf of world peace.

[quote DavHut] and in more modern times it continued with the eating of fish on Friday. [/quote]Oh do I remeber. In grammer school it was always fish sticks for lunch at school and I couldn't stand them. Hey, what did you want for a 25 cent lunch? Whoops, I guess that ages me.

[quote DavHut]n/t[/quote]
David, you are our resident encyclopedia. I like that. Don't go anywhere. One thing I learned on this forum, we can learn from each other with the exchange of ideas. We all have something to offer.
Like, we get ancient history from Uncle Willy and some good up to date information.

[quote John 'n' W.Va]Like, we get ancient history from Uncle Willy and some good up to date information.[/quote]
Yea but that's cause he was using magnets and weird contraptions long before they had metal detectors....ehehe. Sorry Bill. Had to do that one......

David, you are our resident encyclopedia.
In other words, a boorish know-it-all! Really, thats what its all about: to know. Its why we do what we do, for the most part. **

Along with to do, these two things define what we are and will leave our mark behind us. Sharing our knowledge is one of the higher callings we have - I guess being known as an encyclopeadia means I am meeting that calling. Thanks, John.

** Thomas Edison said his body merely served as a vessel to keep his brain functioning - the brain was the only thing that mattered. That's why he liked to take a little mild exercise and a long nap everyday, to rejuvenate. Smart guy; I think he was on to something...

When I went to grade school we packed our lunch wrapped in newspaper. Egg sandwiches were big on the menu because they were cheap. Course back then a lot of kids came to school barefooted. I never had to. Twas hard times but some of the grandest times of my life. Wouldn't trade one minute of it for the lifestyle of today's kids. Life was an adventure then.

Bill