Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ring Man Needs Your HELP!!!!!

I have a Teknetics pinpointer that I love. It works great and you don't have to dig a big hole to use it. Problem is I have already worn out the side of one and they replaced it but now I have worn the end of it down and not sure if they will replace it again.
Can someone suggest a coating that I could put on the shaft and end of the pointer so it will stand up? Something liquid or paste that I can apply a few coats, even if it wears down I could replace? Anything would be cheaper than buying a new one. Thanks........

I am a building contractor by trade ... there is a rubber membrane (paint on or dip) for tile shower surrounds that would work great and is very durable. Check your local lumber company... Around here Menards Lumber carries in stock. But I am sure a Lowe's Home Improvement or a Home Depot will have the same stuff. Can't think of the name of the stuff but they will know what it is!!! Light Blue color to it.... -Todd

[quote bigealive]I am a building contractor by trade ... there is a rubber membrane (paint on or dip) for tile shower surrounds that would work great and is very durable.[/quote]

Thanks for the info bigealive. I will check on that this weekend. In the mean time since I needed something NOW, I went to the local hardware store and got a package of plastic bonder epoxy (resin and hardener). The guy says it should do what I'm looking for. We'll see.....Your idea sounds the best. Thanks again.....

JB weld is the best. That's what I fixed mine with. It is almost as hard as steel and will stick to almost anything.

[quote John 'n' W.Va]JB weld is the best. That's what I fixed mine with. It is almost as hard as steel and will stick to almost anything.[/quote]
Great idea John. That one I knew about but would have thought of. Thanks!!!

Ring Man:
J-B Weld is great BUT, it is aluminum filled. You need to get an epoxy that does not have any metal base to it. Be sure and lightly sand the area that the expoxy is tobe applied. Why don't you find some plastic PVC pipe that is only a slight bit larger in diameter and cut it a little bit longer (1/4 -3/8" longer) and fill the void with epoxy let it cure and then sharpen it(by fileing)to a point so it will penetrate the soil better.

He has a good point there. They were throwing all kinds of stuff away at work when they were closing the plant I worked at. I got a life time supply of this JB weld type of stuff and glued the pointer to the main body. It works great. It is on the body/shaft and not down on the tip of the shaft. If it had aluminum in it, it probably wouldn't matter that far up the shaft.

[quote Rosco Bookbinder]Can someone suggest [/quote]Yea I suggest you get up off that wallet and buy a Vibra probe you cheap #&&@()@#&:rofl:

n/t

You might suggest they make it out of sturdier material. Nothing should wear out that fast. What did they make it out of, baked silly putty? :) I would suggest a thick coat of resin to make it last forever.

Bill

Yeah duct tape holds the world together. I once blew a radiator hose up in the mountains, taped the long gash up with duct tape, added water, and made it back to town to get a new hose. Never leave home without it.

Bill

Maybe buy a piece of 3/8 PVC pipe and cut a piece just long enough to slip over the end that you scrape on the dirt ,rock, etc...Fill the end with 1/8 epoxy. You'll loose 1/8 inch in depth but it will last forever!

Even cheaper they have a piece of nylon tubing that you could just slip over the end to protect it some...Then either change it every now and again, or add a rubber slip cap over it! It'll last a while longer then.

KCK/Ohio

I wore the tip completely off!!! First I cleaned it with alcohol.. I used a large marker cap, cut the end off and slit down the side for a mold.. For the repair 2 ton clear epoxy works well.. Just go past the repair spot aways so it will hold..I filled the tip with epoxy and made it a little longer.. Then when hardened, I rough shaped it with a file and sanded it to a sharp point.. Penetrates well in most soil.. I have used it for a few weeks now and it is still holding up..