Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ring Man Is NOT Afraid To Do Strips Now. Law On My Side:crylol:

I pulled up the City Municipal Code, made a copy of it then pulled up the local detecting club code of ethics and printed both on a business size card, one on the front, the other on the back. I AM NOT AFRAID TO DO EASEMENTS (aka parking strips, planting strips) now. Let them call the cops.........Notice the word PUBLIC in the code and PRIVATE in the ethics statement. :starwars:

someone in your area could take you to court and may win. L:awyers don't play with the same dictionary that we do. If you check with the city or county attorney's office and they say yes then you are in pretty good shape. You're are applying your interpretation to a city or county codified ordinance and it doesn't count in court. I'm not trying to start a fight just suggesting that you check with the guys that deal with the law all day.
HH

[quote Paul(NWO)]someone in your area could take you to court and may win. L:awyers don't play with the same dictionary that we do. If you check with the city or county attorney's office and they say yes then you are in pretty good shape. You're are applying your interpretation to a city or county codified ordinance and it doesn't count in court. I'm not trying to start a fight just suggesting that you check with the guys that deal with the law all day.
HH[/quote]

Take me to court and win? They would have to prove trespass, and damage beyound repair. They would have to know who I was, they would have to have called the cops and I might not be around that long..eheh

The way I figure it is this. Most people don't know squat about the city laws. Show them the ordnance and that should satisfy most. And my looking at it says "PUBLIC" which tells me it's mine as much as theirs. They want to call the cops let them. The police could only go by the city ordinance and probably tell the owner that they don't have a battle to fight. The cops could ask if I want to move on. I might then.........Or not.........

[quote Rosco Bookbinder
Take me to court and win? They would have to prove trespass, and damage beyound repair. They would have to know who I was, they would have to have called the cops and I might not be around that long..eheh

The way I figure it is this. Most people don't know squat about the city laws. Show them the ordnance and that should satisfy most. And my looking at it says "PUBLIC" which tells me it's mine as much as theirs. They want to call the cops let them. The police could only go by the city ordinance and probably tell the owner that they don't have a battle to fight. The cops could ask if I want to move on. I might then.........Or not.........[/quote]Hopefullly you have enough clad for bail $$$$$:rofl:

[quote awhitster]Hopefullly you have enough clad for bail $$$$$:rofl:[/quote]
So you don't agree then? What good is the law on the books if you can't use it to your advantage???

I just think you should ask a Cop or somone in the city goverment for clarification. Then you will know for sure.

Well, I think technically you may be right Rosco. I have thought a lot about this also. My son and I do a lot of door knocking and hunt a lot of yards. But we have to realize that the city probably does not maintain that area, mowing etc...the person that lives there does. If a big thing is made about leaving if told to, then you will be remembered in the future by the cop. Not worth the hassle. I just go up to the door and ask the people if they mind if I hunt on the "PUBLIC AREA" out by the sidewalk and the street. They almost always don't mind. The great thing about just asking is you might just get to hunt the whole front yard also. It's horrible to try and hunt looking over your shoulder all the time wondering if you're going to get ran off. The worst that can happen is they say no, Hey, there's many other places to hunt anyway. It's looking out the window or door and seeing someone by surprise in what they consider "their yard" since they maintain it, that gets them defensive. Also the city could pass a new city ordinance against metal detecting if they had to many problems or complaints if they really wanted to. That would really stink. Anyway...Good Luck...Dickie

Last month I made a post on my incident in Mo. I went to city hall and had thier blessings to hunt on city property. They also told me if anyone gave me a hard time to let them know and they would take care of it. That is called good pr. I want all the cops know who I am and how I go about doing my MDing. I want to be a good citizen. The town in Fl. of Lake Helen, everybody knew me. They would wave and toot their horns. They were concerned at first, then they got to know me. I always took time to talk to people, then they didn't feel threatened. They knew I returned things if I could find the owner and I did. People was interested in what I found, even the cops would stop to talk and tell me about things they have found. They also gave me good leads. I walked up and down all the easements without me feeling threatened.

[quote awhitster]I just think you should ask a Cop or somone in the city goverment for clarification. Then you will know for sure.[/quote]
I have downloaded the City Municipal LAW. Is there more a person can do? It's on the books.

If detecting is legal on all public property then that applies to parkways. People may think the parkway is part of their property but it ain't.

Bill

I doubt that the cops would even come out unless violence was threatened by one or the other party. That doesn't come under their jurisdiction. Most of them don't have a clue as to what all the city ordinances are.

Bill