Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ring found and returned

Casper-1

This guy approached me at work the other day and asked if i could do him a favor - seems his daughter lost a gold ring while raking. I told him no problem and he just had to give me a time and a place. I asked him if he was positive it was lost in the yard and he said yes. He then told me that there was a good chance though that it could have been lost in one of the bags of leaves - so i decided to not only take my land machine, but my PI too.

I arrived there to find 15 bags of leaves near the road. I decided to hit the bags first with the PI before tackeling the yard - which would probably hold alot more targets and take more time. I laid the bags one at a time on the ground and rolled them with my foot while passing over it with my PI. Sometimes as I passed down the side and close to the ground I got hits - I would move the bag and find that I was getting targets in the ground - I would have to find a spot that was clean - this was tough - there were alot of targets - I dragged the bags to the driveway thinking this would be good - nope - targets under driveway too. I eventually did find a silent zone and took the bags there one at a time. When I got to the 7th one I got a faint signal - I moved the bag off the spot and checked the ground area - I got nothing and moved the bag back checked again and received signal again. I took the bag back to the driveway and found a silent spot on it. I dumped half the bag out - checked and got a nice signal - I got down on my hands and knees and spread the leaves and grass out and saw the glint of gold as the sun hit it. I asked the guy to discribe it and he did and I told him I had it. He asked what I wanted and I told him his daughters smile would be enough.

I saw him again at work and he asked again if he could give me something and I said no. He then started to tell me of a bunch of places that I might want to try - so it can still pay off sometimes when you return one now and then.

[attachment 41708 theguy-.JPG] [attachment 41709 thering-.JPG]

Now that's Intelligent Hunting. Good show. I once got a couple of homemade apple pies out of a similar deal, but it was a no-brainer.

good deed will pay off at least ten fold!!!!!! The guy and his daughter will tell others about what you did for years to come! Another good stroke for all of us metal detectorists! Yep, taking money to find something like this is so very unnecessary!!!! You did good my friend!!!! Finding it was reward enough, I'll bet!

Cool story, you should have asked him what year his house was built.... LOL.

Nice going Casper!!!You did our hobby proud friend!!!
I had a similar experience a couple of yrs back while visiting the Gettysburg area. While shopping at the Whites dealership in Gettysburg, I overheard a young fella attempting to "rent" a detecter for a few hours, so he could try to find his wedding band in his yard. To make a long story short, the shop just did not rent out machines, so I introduced myself, and explained that it would be my pleasure to try to locate his ring for him. Unfortunately, I did not find the ring, but we do visit our new friends down that way every year, and will keep trying for that ring. That young fella is now the proud owner of an Ace 250, and the wife and I are adopted grand parents of his newly adopted baby boy. Whenever I am asked about my bestest finds, I always reply "the new, dear, friends I have met along the way"!

nice goin'..i would have done the same thing!.helping others has it's own rewards!..i KNOW you sleep well at night!

regards!
j.t.