Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Riding a White Horse part two..........

Wayne in BC

There was no chance in a small community in those days and at that age 12-13, we could get any girls to drink booze with us and we knew it but the thought was always there, we had heard it worked :shrug:
Trotting in and out of the dance all evening to alternate between avoiding the "opportunity" of dancing awkwardly with some fat girl or our mothers, and while running around in the warm dark plotting, we noted a couple guys going back and forth to their truck along with a couple different local guys. They were from a town 15 miles away and we reckoned they were kinda rich cause the truck was newer than most. (found out much later that they were bootleggers :biggrin: )Pretty sure it was a '53 Dodge and still fair shiny. They would reach in and bring out a paper bag, everybody raising it to their mouths a time or two then head back in to the dance.
A quick sneak, carefully opening squeaky door and omygawd! There were no less than 8 bottles of Lambs Navy Rum bagged up on the seat! Two were opened, the rest uncracked and we immediately reasoned that they would not miss just one, specially if we took that empty from the box and bagged it to replace the one we stole :thumbup:

Around the hall and out back to a grove of bushes us hardcore drinkers scampered. Setting in a blacker shadow under a Caraganna hedge, we began sipping, each pretending it was "good stuff" while grateful for the dark not showing the looks on our faces and the trouble swallowing :angry: I suspect we got down about 3 oz each before heading back into the hall and i remember a warm glow starting to work its way up from my belly as i joined the crowd. Maybe 10 minutes later cousin said, lets go outside for some air.

Oddly, i remember the Crickets and the warm night air smelling sweet, the Nighthawks buzzing. The ever present scent of fresh hay mixed with the sharpness of Silver Willow and Tumbleweed, nice but silly things to remember, Another 10 minutes and maybe 3 oz each, had us both getting talkative and feeling much older as we went back to the dance, stumbling only occasionally or maybe regularly, i can't quite remember....... i was later told by an early developed neighbor girl that i said some interesting things to her while we danced kinda sideways, but would not tell what they were. :confused: She did not seem real mad though and i wondered why......young, drunk, and dumb! :rolleyes:

Third time out, maybe 12:30 am ish we found that we were getting down near the bottom of the bottle and some folk were leaving. We left a bit in the bottle as we were called to come get in the car. Getting IN the car as i remember was a bit tough and i squabbled some with my little b**ch sister (who i still love a whole lot:biggrin:) when she said we stunk real bad and were gonna go to hell for sure! She was soon shushed by Mom and Auntie, and oddly they went over to the truck and argued some and loudly with Dad and uncle Dave, then returned all tight lipped, told us all to be quiet and headed home.

I do remember hanging my head out the window as we traveled and puking something fierce, but thats was the end of my recollection until i and cousin woke to an awful headache at 5:30 am, with Dad and uncle Dave yelling "HAY!" in our ears. Omygawd! We did not usually work a full day Sundays unless we were behind real bad and i was beginning to suspect that we were busted but nothing was said although the kitchen seemed mighty cold and quiet for July. The rest of that day is a nightmare only partially remembered. Hot as hell on the hayfield, we sweated it out, not even eating much but thankful for the extra water jug :unsure:
Nothing ever needed to be said, we paid the price! Later years, a bit of maturity and some judicious questions helped me make up that missed argument between the family heads, this has got to be it, all i could ever get from Dad or Dave....

Mom.......Douglas! Those boys are drunk! How did that happen??!!!
Dad.......yes i know my love, boys will be boys ya know.
Mom......not on my watch they won't!! (Mom was ex Army also and i am the reason she was discharged just before the war ended ;) )
Uncle Dave......its ok, we will handle it but not right now, my old shrapnel wounds are acting up...... (Italy)
Auntie Mary......take a buggy whip to them right now!!! (she was a sweetheart like Mom but if you pushed it too far :surrender: )
Dad......just say nothing we will handle it and thats an order!
I guess that would be when they came back to the car all stonefaced and said nothing all the way home. :lol:

Next, the White Horse..........

And in my case, it wasn't a buggy whip but 1] a swift hand paddling; 2] the razor strop... or 3] the tip from a fly rod. One of these would be administered depending on the degree of severity of the offense. :):

Fair winds, sunny skies

Mikie

Question is ....Did it smarten you up? :D From reading your other stories, i think it did! Looking foward to read of the horse....

I still remember the first time we got into the beer that Uncle Clayton kept in the spring house...quart size bottles.

Well, it appears that your Father knew how to handle the situation, right? :rofl: You paid the price, probably felt like you were going to die! :rofl: Looking forward to the next part! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

but i learned a nice carbonated beverage works best,coke if you please:).i remember trying to get my fair share of a case of warm schlitz malt liquor 16 ouncers.i paid for it with dry heaves,i was 14.

But I'll tell you Wayne.......we'd all be a bit more concerned if you wuz able to dance like them there fellers on T.V..........all in unison and everything. :lol: I'm enjoying the heck outta this story......can't wait to read some more ! :lol:

I can still vividly remember my first drunk, June 9th 1957!! June 10th 1957 I wanted to die and it was Christmas before I touched another drop. I was in the crotch, that is what we called the Marines.

I remember going to an old time Square Dance in Kingston NC in about 59. There was a guy there that was selling shine for a buck a pint and it was so dang smooth that a punk kid could drink it and not gag. Good shine is good booze for sure.

That first drunk was at a rodeo at Camp Pendelton in CA and I made a full fledged ass of myself and I know this will shock everyone but it was not the only time I did so:super:

You got a good story a going here Wayner, as always