Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Riding a White Horse part 3..............

Wayne in BC

:biggrin: finally we get back to the White Horse........as i said at the beginning, i was bored because it would be a couple weeks before i could get to the Ranch, for various reasons.
The Army base had PMQ's (permanent married quarters) that were situated on a long gentle hillside. On the top of the hill by itself on a couple acres was the Colonel"s house. A nice fancy joint by our standards!
Then starting below that and down the hill for 1/3 of a mile or so (remember what runs downhill folks;)) were the next in line, Majors, Captains, etc. Our family was in the middle. Then the lower area, corporals, pvts, which made up the bulk of the houses. Then a gap of a 1/2 mile of scrub brush and swamp, below which was an old farmstead with a nice house and a small barn. There lived the RSM (regimental Sgt Major). Now the officers could bust ya and make life tough for a soldier but the RSM was the one most feared, even by officers.

Paddy Fallon our RSM was known to be fair but hell on wheels! So this boring Saturday morning i had spent all my limited interest and intellect mindlessly trying to murder various critters with my slingshot. Not much luck, the Coots on the slough stayed well away and pretty much ignored the occasional splash as a rock from my sling landed well short of them. They knew us boys well:biggrin:.
I was walking the trail quite close to the RSM's house, maybe 50 yards away when i saw the HORSE! Pure White, tall and well proportioned, it was standing untied while the RSM himself groomed it and i stood frozen and fascinated until Paddy stopped his brushing, stood still for a bit, then turned to stare at me! Yikes! It was true, he was superhuman! I was wondering if i even dared run when i heard his voice, calm, even, and not deep and booming as it should have been say........come over here sonny.

I stayed stock still for a bit then squeaked out, yes sir, and walked over to the giant, the legend, the man whom all the soldiers spoke of with humility and ill disguised fear.
What are doing boy? Um..... hunting Sir. You know this area is off limits? I thought for a moment, realized the futility and stupidity (for a change) of trying to lie and said......yes Sir! Silence for a moment, then he said, you like this horse do you?.....yes Sir! Do you know how to ride? I think so Sir, i learned on my Uncles ranch Sir.
Hmm, very well he said as he took a bridal from a corral post and slipped it on the Horse's head, i was impressed as she, yes it was a mare, opened her mouth calmly to accept the bit. He crossed the reins over her neck and said, hop on boy, she is quiet. A bit nonplussed but eager to both obey, and ride the neat Horse, i grabbed some mane and leapt to her back slightly worried because we sure had some quiet Horses but any fancy ones i had seen seemed quite spirited, not that that would be a problem, because i liked nothing better than a good bucking match........ The mare stood calmly.
Now take her at a trot to the end of the fence (30 yards) and back he said and i touched my heels lightly to her flank while bracing for anything. The mare walked out immediately and purposefully so i increased the heel pressure and she advanced to a smooth trot. Once i was back in front of the RSM he indicated for me to dismount, saying, well, you have a good seat. I did not have a clue what that meant (and in this day and age it would depend on who said it whether he lived or died!:biggrin:) but he seemed serious and began to question me about the strangest things. Like how far a horse could run, how do you clean a hoof, etc.

He seemed very interested in my answers to his questions and i realized that i no longer feared him as he acted like an ordinary man. No loud bellowing, no purple veins standing out in his neck, jeepers, he was just not fitting the mold? Then he said......ok sonny what is your name? I told him with some trepidation but he smiled and said, Doug's son? Yes Sir. Would you like to help me take care of and exercise my horse? I will speak to your father.
Yes Sir! Now i was a bit scared at all this but it did seem like a fine opportunity to get a chance at Horse freedom! He went on to tell what he expected and led me around showing me the feed and tack etc and asked that i exercise her as often as i could and NO racing or foolishness! Yes Sir!

The next day when Dad got home from work his first words were, what the hell were you doing down at the RSM's place? Um, i wasn't really right in his place and he called me, and......
Never mind, i'm proud of you Son! Paddy Fallon had a talk with me today and said he reckoned you were a fine boy. So you will look after his horse? Yes Dad! Good for you kid, Paddy is a good man. Um, Dad, i thought he was supposed to be kinda nasty? Laughter from my Dad.........just say nothing Son, you will learn..........

The next few days were fine ones, specially when i learned that the mare was more than enough spirited if you opened her up and calm enough that it only took a few tries to get her used to the slap/snap of my slingshot, Man! I was Cavalry now!:thumbup: I wished i could use my .22 but figured it best not to act like a little savage like we did on the ranch.
A bright and warm morning and i rode happily along the grass airstrip just a bit east of Paddy's house and marking the boundary of the verbotten 80 sq mile mile military training area which in the summer had as many as 20,000 troops. (lots of live fire in those days). I was on my way to a small lake a mile north that always had some neat things to do and the mare "Keno" purely loved to wade in and have me scrub her down, that horse liked water. How i found that out? I best plead the fifth and just say i watched a lot of Cowboy movies;)
I also gained huge status among the camp kids but they were all po-ed because i would not take them down there. Paddy had not said anything about other kids not being welcome but i hinted that he had:devil:

I believe i was halfway down the grass strip when the world came apart! I cannot describe it proper like but will try........WHOOOSHBOOMROAR!!!......and i was on the ground with the wind outta me while the very panicked horse flew back toward home. After a minute i realized what had happened. There were always aircraft around, not fighters or bombers but light spotters and T-33 jet trainers, one of which had just made a low pass along the strip i was on! So that was what all the noise, wind, and dust was about, hmmmm. It took one more lesson two days after to understand that was no accident! Those boogers could pick out me and that White horse and have fun whenever they were bored, so it became a game, one which Keno the horse did not much like but........:lol: I would venture out along the strip, stop and listen some, trying to pick the sound of the T-33 out of the background of far away artillery and mortar fire and the drone of heavy trucks, some only several hundred yards away. They would always come from behind me or out of the sun. If i heard or saw the jet, i would dismount and hold the poor horse who was actually getting almost used to it. But, a couple more times they got me, i got dumped and had to walk back as they waggled wings and laughed like hell i am sure. I never told anyone cause i was embarrassed and anyway a guy did not whine about them things, maybe city wimps did but......

Now flash forward 40 years nearly to the day. While bartending in the local legion in 1997, i got talking to a retired air force pilot. As the talk went i mentioned Wainwright and he said that he was there during the summer training and i asked what he was flying. When he said T-33 i said.......oh? One of those boogers who used to spook my white horse on the airstrip huh? Well! The look on his face was priceless! Like a Deer in the headlights he was speechless and i knew i had him!:lol: We talked some and laughed about it, small world etc, but he never really warmed up and i suspect he thought i was carrying a grudge. Heck little did he know i woulda done worse than him!
Now you know what the "White Horse" was all about after all my yammering on other things. My Uncle ended up buying that horse from Paddy two years later and we had her for many years, she was a delight and one of the best i ever threw a leg over.

Endit

It brings back many, many good memories of my youth and horses. The part of your story where Paddy asked you all the questions about horses, cleaning the hooves and etc. reminds me that there are not many horseman around anymore...sure not any to speak of at the public stables. Many folks do not know about cleaning the hooves, pulling the mane and tail, floating the teeth, standing the horse up when you trim or shoe them, giving shots without hitting a vein, worming, wool saddle blankets instead of the new modern pads, the different bits and types of head stalls, the different bars for saddles, soft mouths and goodness knows what else. I reflect back to the round pen training, the sacking out of the horse, teaching it to be ground tied...those were some good times!

Recently, I have had the opportunity to assist some of the schools in their ag programs, but have held off so far...not quite ready to do it yet. Debbie has been pushing me to getting involved, but part of her motivation is to get me off the motorcycle...it is a decision that I will have to make when the time is right.

Wayne, thanks for posting this story...you really have no idea just how much I enjoyed reading it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

have done if he knew they were spookin' his horse?wayne did the RSM keep the horse for ceremonial reasons or was it just a horse he kept because he was able to and he lived away from the other houses?wayne it sounds like when you were younger you kind of kept to yourself,able to find things to do without anybody else.

true horse people (not out of a magazine) are not as common anymore. If you have the time maybe you should pass on your knowledge, but keep your Cycle:biggrin:
Glad you enjoyed the story, it has been a pleasure to write it.

but did not want to go there, kids making waves did not "fly" like it does nowadays:biggrin:
He just kept the horse because he had grown upon a ranch also. Yes i was a bit of a loner, in later years i spent weeks alone on a trapline and then also worked in the sub arctic.

flying overhead,I don't think anything I know captures the wild nature of seeing them and the honking.Have you ever thought of writing a book,see you. oj ps do geese fly at night I kind of heard a v formation last night,not sure? if geese.

Who wouldn't miss the yesteryears of times like that ? It's the memories we bring with us that determine whether we can smile today..... a very interesting life you've led indeed !! :beers:

with a tough reputation, such as the Sargent Major, really has a soft spot. Bet those pilots would have paid a harsh price, if he found out how you and his horse were targeted! :D

I'm a Wainwright myself but no relation to the General that the base was named after. Great to hear about the beautiful, white mare and your adventures. The T-33 tudors were still flying at Comox Air Base when I lived on Vancouver Island back in the 1990's, still a great training jet.

Cheers,

BDA:cool:

However, I am amazed that the RSM did not hear about that. It seems as though those men have eyes and ears everywhere. If he did hear, I would not want to be the pilot when Paddy got to him. :D:

Good story as usual Wayne... One day I may be that good.

calm seas

Mikie

and i would not know? Maybe that is why the pilot i talked to was kinda vague, he was still smarting?:lol:

and far in between. You are a most excellent writer, and never loses ones attention. I could almost feel myself standing on a wood fence watching you with the white horse with that slingshot in your hand. :clapping: This was an excelllent story Wayner! Keep it up! Our story forum had too few stories on it lately. I should talk. I have a few of my own to write, but have to be in a good thinking mode when I write them. I love sharing some of your boyhood times. You have done some very interesting things in your life. I did not know until know that your were a military brat! :rofl: Thanks for the bedtime story! :)

actually not a bad way to grow up. Life was much simpler then. Better dead than Red, Honor and respect were common.
Thanks Sunny:)

In the first outfit I was in we has a no BS MSGT! He ran that outfit and there was not doubt about it. I was in a small fighter outfit. We has a bran new second LT come in with an attitude. First day he thought he outranked a MSGT. Maybe on paper he did.

I have no clue what happened between the Second LT and the MSGT but that sat the second LT was out weighing fire bottles to make sure they were full, that the guages were not faulty. NOBODY gave the Msgt any crap!!

My wife Jane did also. Your story and Kelly's reply both made her day. My wife really enjoys her horses. Its always and extra privilege
to do something when you would never expect that person to allow you to do it. It don't happen a lot but when it does it is special. Those type of things stick with you for a life time......

Thanks for taking the time to write all 3 parts. I enjoyed them very much... Geo