Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Revolutionary War Buckle ? Found near Fort Site

Mac _ Park

This is a buckle I found in Pennsylvania near a Revolutionary Fort Site. I have no clue as to the identity of the piece. It is about 2 inches high and 2 3/4 inches wide. It has a very light noticeable trace of gold plating?in the unworn areas. If anyone could help, please post. Thanks Jerry in PA

Looks foreign and later to me..late 1800s..perhaps one of the German States as it has a crown above the Eagle..it ain't British.
Dean

Mac,

I looked thru my copy of American Military Belt Plates, and could not find a buckle like it. (I may have overlooked it, but don't think so).
I saw several that were of the same shape, with the same type of "hook" and attachment, but none with the Eagle striking this posture.

Sorry I couldn't help,

Take care,

Kim

A very astute evaluation considering that it was found near a revolutionary fort site.Maybe it could just be a unrecorded buckle.

I'll follow up on Dean's observations:
(1) Dean is correct that the "general rule of thumb" for rectangular buckles is "the wider the tongue-hook, the later the buckle." But (of course) there always seem to be a few exceptions to the rule-of-thumb. ;-)
(2) I also agree with Dean that this is a European style eagle-with-crown-above emblem ...and that it's definitely not British. This one looks Prussian/German/Austrian to me. I'd suggest checking 19th-Century-era European coins to find the country which used that particular eagle-emblem.

Regards,
TheCannonballGuy (PCGeorge)

Design and construction would lead me to follow their thoughts. Cool plate none the less. Good hunting, David@Dixie

British redcoats were strongly reinforced by Herschien mercenaries (germanic) during the Americain Revolutionary War. This might account for the eagle with crown emblem which is typical of germanic heraldry in various forms (multiple heads eg.) The german and british royal houses were closely related and it was common for germanic forces to be in the employ of the british crown.
[attachment 30362 GermanEmperorsSeallate1500s.jpg]
[attachment 30363 GermanImperialcoatofarms1871.jpg]
Just my thoughts,

BDA