Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Return to the Cabin Sight

C&RHunter

I went back to the cabin sight this afternoon. Found the typical misc. items: horseshoe, brass spoons, square nails, and a of lead that has been flattened and folded over. Also, a small metal lid that looks like it was nickel plated. Don’t know what it was for, but it is about the size of lid for a pistol percussion cap tin. (I would think a small tin would be rusted away by now, but the lid was about 4-5" deep and had been plated) The best two recoveries for today were a flat button with a soldered shank and a two piece General Service button. (Jeff called that - Thank you! LOL) The flat button appears to be unmarked both front and back. The Gen. Serv. button is back marked: Waterbury Button Co. I’ll have to check my books to get an approx. manufacture date, but would guess 1840s or newer. HH

Attachments

• Flat Button With Shank.jpg
    Flat Button With Shank.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 94
  • GS Button When Dug.jpeg
    GS Button When Dug.jpeg
    536.1 KB · Views: 101
  • GS Button.jpeg
    GS Button.jpeg
    387.5 KB · Views: 125
  • Misc Day 3.jpeg
    Misc Day 3.jpeg
    602.1 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
I went back to the cabin sight this afternoon. Found the typical misc. items: horseshoe, brass spoons, square nails, and a of lead that has been flattened and folded over. Also, a small metal lid that looks like it was nickel plated. Don’t know what it was for, but it is about the size of lid for a pistol percussion cap tin. (I would think a small tin would be rusted away by now, but the lid was about 4-5" deep and had been plated) The best two recoveries for today were a flat button with a soldered shank and a two piece General Service button. (Jeff called that - Thank you! LOL) The flat button appears to be unmarked both front and back. The Gen. Serv. button is back marked: Waterbury Button Co. I’ll have to check my books to get an approx. manufacture date, but would guess 1840s or newer. HH
Update: I did some research on the General Service button, using the book "Uniform Buttons of The United States 1776-1865". The button is backmarked Waterbury Button Co. and has a depressed mark and in a depressed channel (dmdc), so it appears to have been manufactured late 1850s to 1865.

Atta boy!! Some of these sites are big and it takes a few trips to get a handle on them, planning some return trips my self.
HH Jeff