Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

RETURN TO CHERRY CREEK---Series!

Cupajo

After seeing the two bow hunters off to Globe, I decided to drive leisurely back to Phoenix. The road I traveled passed by Roosevelt Lake and there overlooking, the lake I found a small store. I decided to stop in and have another cold drink and perhaps a snack.

The fellow that ran the store asked if I might help him with a problem. It seems that he had helped a family that had gotten their pickup camper stuck along the edge of the lake where the dry time of year had exposed some of the normally flooded lake bed.

If one was unaware of the fact that the surface was hard enough to walk on and perhaps drive over quickly, they might park their camper there and wake up to find it sitting on the frame, wheels buried in the hidden mire.

He had seen it before and had used his old John Deere tractor to pull several out without incident. This time he had forgotten his long chain and had backed down too far onto the hard crust covered mire. Everything went well until he started to pull the family out of there.

They were lucky to get their camper up and onto solid ground, but in the process the Good Samaritan ended up with a tractor sitting on its frame up to the hubs and not goin anywhere!

The family said they had to be somewhere and left him there. (Sound Familiar?)

I told him how I felt about people that would run off and leave a man stranded after he went to so much trouble to help them and that I would help him get out of there if it was possible.

When I got a good look at that tractor, I had second thoughts, but a promise is a promise.

The job would require digging as much muck away from the rear wheels as possible. We then had to place boards, stones and anything else we could find under the front of those big tires to get enough traction for driving out of there.

The front tires had no problem staying on top of the crust and I hoped would not present a problem later when the rear tires rose out of the muck and the weight became more evenly distributed.

I hooked a long chain from the bumper of my little Jeep to the front of the tractor to provide a small assist, but mostly to try and keep the tractor from rolling over backwards onto the driver. I was sure the tractor had more than enough power to get out of there and all we had to do was start it moving forward and keep me and my Jeep well away from being run over.

Best laid plans sometimes work out for the best and this time they did. That machine, all umpteen tons of it, rose up out of the muck and onto solid ground without incident. I told my new found friend (whom I never saw again) goodbye and headed the little Jeep for home as fast as it would go.

I had experienced about all the adventure and excitement I wanted for some time to come. My next trip to Cherry Creek was a lesson in human tragedy which I

n/t

And even if they don't, you know it was right. If you can't be proud of whats looking back at you in the mirror, how can anyone else. I thing you set find examples to be followed and I bet some did.

George-CT

When I would have loved to have seen you coming in your jeep! When I was younger I seldom owned a truck that I hadn't buried a time or two in the mud well off the beaten track and deep in the woods! This usually required many hours of hard work to get it free or a walk of many miles to get help.....Sometimes both!

After my last visit to Cherry Creek and all of the events I experienced there it took me a while to gather enough courage to visit there again. It was still deer season and that area was some of the best hunting in Arizona, so I decided to go back and try my luck.

When I stopped by the Ellison

about airedales,but when i read that i googled them and sure enough they are guard and watchdogs besides hunting.

In the wee hours of the morning (about 1 AM), there was a loud knocking on the main house door and soon someone knocking on the small camper door where I was sleeping.

A man and his small son had found their way through the brutally cold night to the Ellison

amazing or tragic things go on in this world whilst the rest of us sleep or are busy in our own lives.
You lived some of these tough but interesting times for sure!
Thank you for writing it down so well for us:)

One got into a real scrap with a cougar and a vet bill of over $2000.00 later...... well you know how it goes.

Great story,,.. felt as though I was there

Fair winds

Mike

We just had one up this way. Eight younger people all got caught in an avalanche a couple of days back. Actually 11 were caught... but three managed to escape. The others did not.

I worked in a hospital as a tech and I have seen my share of misery and death too... No more. It gets to you after a while.. Or you become cold and immune.

fair winds

Micheal

kind of sad to come upon somebody thats just lost their life,obviously some loved ones who are tore up.sometimes a person only gets to make a bad mistake once,and the pat severly.i've had my share of near misses.enjoyed the story cupajo.

My father always had a Airedales. Never quite figured out what he saw in them. I don't know who stayed in more trouble with my mother the dog's or my dad. Good reading Cupa

that you have written so very well!! Your stories take you into them, and I felt like I was there is parts of it! You are a very talented writer and we are glad you have stopped in to stay on our forum.

You can go back to the archives and find out some stuff about other people on here too, if you have the time.

Seems like Cherry Creek helped you to grow up, and I know I would want you around if I needed help. It's nice to find people like you who will not simply turn their backs on you. :)

it had been raining a lot. Pretty bad.

There was a motorhome, well more of a motorcoach, one of the full sized buses that was made into a motorhome, that was setting in a site and had sunk flat on its frame! The tires were completely sunk! That bus was 40 ft long if it was an inch.

I have wondered for many year how that poor sucker ever got that thing out of there. :(

in fact I don't remember seeing one in years.

They do look like solid suckers though :thumbup: Like a ferret I once had, once his blood was up it was gonna kill anything it could until it cooled down a bit

and instances that seem to just jump out. Most of them are now dead but they made a lasting impression for sure

I've wondered over the years what happened to the Ellison family and I was thinking that one day I would return to Cherry Creek a third time to see what has happened over all the passing years. I think that would complete the circle. I have friends that I see every year here in Connecticut who have invited my wife and me to their beautiful home north of Phoenix and my wife keeps saying how she would like to see some of the places I have been there, so maybe one day------

Cupajo