Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Rescued my first aussie colonial silver

Hoover

Found my first 18th century coin yesterday at my favourite park and even though its obviously been kept as a token, Im over the moon with this find! Australia was first settled by the British in 1788, so they wont come much earlier than this. Id love to think that it was brought over by someone on the first fleet. The earliest coin Id previously found at this site was 1860. The coin was a good eight inches down and registered a 1-33. Then to my astonishment I swung the coil over the hole and registered another target. Then out popped a silver life buoy. I didn't realise the coins age till I took it home to clean it up (thinking it was another Victorian threepence). Ive been thinking they might be part of a Victorian charm bracelet, but there is no obvious attaching link on the life preserver? Love my Etrac!
Hoover

Wow, that is a great find, congrats!!!
Bunker

Super nice find for sure. That was a lot of money back then so I'm sure it wasn't worn by a early settler but it sure could of been in ones pocket. It counts as a very slick jewelry find that we all would like to find. Congrats

I hate it when they drill holes in the coins

OOOhhh that is an awesome find
Big congratulations Hoover :thumbup:

T59

Hi Mick,
The date on the coin is 1786. I checked out the Spink guide (listing all british coins) and its not a rare year and the hole probably completely devalues it, but you just have to love finding something that old. Im rapped.

Hoover

great finds!!

Can't see anything here:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&xhr=t&q=silver+life+buoy&cp=16&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1440&bih=685&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

Thanks for the link Bilko! Id also found a silver cricketer (that could also be a charm) about 50 yards away in the same park, a few months ago. Which could give weight to my charm theory.

Hoover