Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Rescue on the Monashee!!! :)

Micheal_R

Staff member
Last Friday, I was coming home from over the hill; {Over the hill is our term for going into Vernon, our nearest large centre}, from one of my 'appointments' When I started out, the weather was actually pretty good, sun, light cloud, and pretty warm temperatures.

However, the further east I got, and the higher up I went, the weather deteriorated until, near the summit of the Monashee pass, there was sleet, rain, cold temperatures [around 37 degrees], and generally miserable conditions. However, I was in a warm truck so that did not bother me.

As I came down the other side of the pass, the weather did not improve... in fact, it started to rain even harder. Nearing home, and still descending the hills, I saw a couple of bicyclists on the side of the road. I slowed down and saw that the young gentleman was tryingf to effect a repair on his cycle. The brakes had worm right out and he was trying to change them on the side of the road. I asked if they were okay and he said that he would manage.

I saw that the young lady had started to shake [first sign of hypothermia] and told them to put the bikes in the truck, and we would let him work on them in my heated workshop. We loaded the bikes and all their gear into the truck, and headed for the farm [luckily only 3 minutes away]

When we got there, Becky was shaking so badly, I took her into the house. Alice, bless her, had a roaring fire on and becks immediately set beside it. Andy, the young man, came in too and huddled. We told them to go in and sit in a warm shower, which they did and finally, after about 45-50 minutes, they warmed up.

They had started out on the other side and, of course, when they are peddling uphill, are creating lots of warmth. When they hit the top, and started the 50 minute coast down, that is when they started to chill out.

Anyway, after a glass or two of wine, some warm duds, and a good hot meal, they settled into our spare room for the night.

They are from England and we on the last leg of a year long tour of Australia, New Zealand, and B.C. We gave them a couple of bear bangers [they had been told horror stories of bears in B.C. and no assuring them would allay those fears], a couple of touques and a some warm sweaters.

They have a website detailing their adventures and it makes fro pretty interesting reading. http://andyandbecks.blogspot.com/
Here is a shot of them too.

All the best

M

was you that picked them up!and I know they are too. You and Alice were a blessing to them! Have a good night, now I'm going to look at their website!

And I am not the least bit surprised by your act of compassion.Can you imagine how much better this world would be if everyone would take the time to help someone in need?I guarantee you this young couple will never forget your act of kindness.We reap what we sow.

I think that they are lucky that you folks came along when you did. Thanks for sharing this story, and please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

next hill. What a great act of compassion! There are still some out there who would have past them by.

I remember back in the 70's I saw a man and a woman standing on the side of the interstate freezing in a rain storm. It just so happened that back then there wasnt as many crazies running around. Since they were standing at the end of my driveway, I stopped and offered them food and a warm fire. They graciously accepted.

I found out that they were just a couple of people in need on their way to Memphis, over 140 miles away. I filled them with hot Campbells soup and a sandwich and after standing huddled over our butane stove, their clothes dried out and they were soon on their way.

I would stop to help people in the circumstance that you did, but I couldnt say that I would pick up hitchikers in todays time again. Thanks for a positive story about humanity!

God Bless,

Lil Brother

n/t

n/t

n/t

I probably shouldn't have. I scared myself. Wound up at 146 feet deep by accident. I think that I will hold off for a few more days.

All the best

M

And the stories they told of their travels...I feel that We got the better end of the deal. We were entertained all evening :) :)

all the best

M

n/t

n/t

...I can assure you that THEY'LL remember it longer & more often than you. I'm sure you & your wife made for a very long entry in their journals and memories! :clapping

n/t