Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Requiem of the Hot Tomatoes

Arkie John

Requiem of the Hot Tomatoes

It is indeed a sad song. But, please, continue to read.

Act 1

My sweet wife Virginia, aka Gigi, is a loving, serving, unselfish and conservative individual. She is what makes the world go

I don't figure I would care for him as a neighbor.

I figure Virgina had better be careful with a character like him. You never know how he might react. Giving him a couple jars might make him happy as heck and he might be over and under foot all the time. Maybe he would be a regular Sunday dinner guest every week:D

I think I would just keep quiet and hope everyone else does too. He sounds a bit nuts to me.

Is he across the street from you and north? Got a pond out back?

Thanks for the Post John. You have been missed here

...those are the nice folks, John and Marcie's place. Steve Crane lives directly east, across the road from them.

You're right...he is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. We all, pretty much, steer clear of him.

aj

n/t

...and it's an antique one at that. I don't get too close, but I can't really tell where his trailer ends and his chicken house begins.

He has owned a lot of cars, of which he has about four or five back off the road.

Somebody said one time that "you can't choose your neighbors." I guess I really DID choose him. I have been there 10 or 11 years now and he has seniority. He's been there, off and on, for over 20 years.

I can't see his place from ours because that part of our property, between us, is allowed to assume a natural stance, complete with dense undergrowth. Works pretty good!

aj

Send ME those two jars instead !:lol: As for Virginia, (a beautiful name, by the way), you rock girl !! No harm in making use of something that was surely going to waste anyway. Ole' Crane sounds like a pretty mixed up gent. I learned a long time back not to try to explain something to anyone that was clearly incapable of understanding. There's no reasoning with the unreasonable. Great story John........that was really a fun and interesting read ! Good to hear from you again.

Rob

P.S.....When did you start carving flutes ? That sounds like a great pastime. Wouldn't mind seeing a pic one day.

Turkey calls and it was fine workmanship!!

Lets see a picture John!!

I actually began making Native American style flutes two or three years ago. They weren't quality flutes, but they are getting better. I have only recently gotten back into it.

I figure with retirement approaching, I need to hone the skill.

I'll post a couple of photos when I get the next ones finished. It's really neat creating something that sounds so pure. <><

aj

or thinks she has done something wrong. Kind of like a deer in the headlights. BUT,......I must say she is very smart, and all she was doin' was helping provide for her family!~!!!~ :rofl:

Loved your story, big brother!!! About time you posted one again! This way hysterical!!

Way to go, Gigi! :biggrin:

starving for some good old fashion HOT salsa, and you two have 13 pints on your counter. For a pint or two, I'll keep quiet!!:lol:

Good one brother-----or should I say, GIGI!!

Lil Brother P.S.:please:--you did good Virginia :please:

:lol:The way those 'matos were obtained just add a bit more spice to the salsa ! No need to let good food go to waste,but my advise to Virginia (under the circumstances, don't ya know) would be to be careful who she shares that "special" recipe with !:lol::lol:

Always great to hear from you my friend.

kind of a conundrum you had but Gigi did just what i would have done and i also would have obsessed over what to do for absolution.
Thanks Arkie and Virginia:wiggle:
Wayne

It appears that Virginia is one sharp lady...she did what had to be done. Crane's tomatoes would have gone wasted if she had not acted when she did. This was such a funny story that I read it twice before posting a reply.

Tell me more about the Lakota style Indian flute. I did not know that you were involved in Indian lore and would love to hear about it. Do you also collect Indian relics? Some of the most beautiful arrowheads that I have ever seen came from Arkansas. I have some laying in a box around here somewhere, and when I find them I will post a picture of them.

Arkie John, thanks for posting this story about Virginia making the Salsa. The story was especially interesting and enjoyable because Salsa is very popular down here in South Texas. Some of the Salsa is so hot that it is stored in special glass jars...too hot to store in regular mason jars because it will dissolve the glass. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

but I think you were right. About takin a couple of jars over to him I mean. Maybe the heat will dry up some of that beer. Anyway, guess your conscience is the best guide.

Dave

guess i'll have to break out the pace and some chips:),you made me hungry.you know they say good fences make good neighbors,or something like that,i'm not talking about anti-social,just not getting to thick.that living on a dead end road has it's perks,at least if a car comes by you know their coming to see you or are lost.

In reviewing all the nice posts, I decided to share my salsa recipe with you. I made some minor changes to the recipe, (my personal requirements for better-than-average 'stuff.' ). Your personal choice of pepper is just fine, just be sure you use the exact amount as stated in the recipe.

Be choosey...I picked firm ripe roma tomatoes. These were huge romas. It was amazing, I felt like a child in the cookie jar, when momma was not looking, while I was picking those tomatoes. The vines were loaded with green tomatoes. I told my neighbors, John and Marcie that I would have been tempted to back the NEXT week, if Crane had not returned.

But...Mr. Crane returned before I had the chance to 'rescue' more tomatoes. :lol: I look forward to Crane leaving town again next summer. Who knows what I will be able to 'can.' It is quite sad the man planted so many veggies and most all went to waste.

I also used long yellow green banana peppers. I took all the seeds out of the banna peppers except for one, to allow for added seasoning. I used yellow onions. I left the seeds in the jalapeno peppers. I added the cumin, oregano leaves, and cilantro as my choice. I tasted of the salsa before cooking and it was great without the cumin, oregano leaves and cilantro.

I enjoyed making the salsa even though it took at least 4 hours for the entire process. I used my food processor, which allowed the processing time to be cut back. Enjoy.....:crazy:

Here's the basic recipe.

Tomato Salsa (using paste tomatoes)

7 quarts peeled, cored, chopped tomatoes
4 cups seeded, chopped long green chiles
5 cups chopped onion
1/2 cup seeded, finely chopped jalapeno peppers
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 cups bottled lemon juice
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
2 tablespoons ground cumin*
3 tablespoons oregano leaves*
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro*

Combine all ingredients except cumin, oregano and cilantro in a large pot and bring to a boil, stirring frequently, then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Add spices and simmer for another 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle hot into pint jars, leaving
1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in a boiling water canner: 15 rninutes at 0-1,000 feet altitude; 20 minutes at 1,001-6,000 feet, 25 minutes above 6,000 feet.

Yield: 13 pints

This recipe works best with paste tomatoes. Slicing tomatoes require a much longer cooking time to achieve a desirable consistency.

With delight in every bite,

Gigi

[Than you have it folks. There is little hope for the gal, now. aj]

Maybe that will make them even hotter!!! :lol:

good story> And thank you

Calm seas, fair winds

M

Why does one not see the replies to the post under the main post - only if you click on it, THEN you see all the replies people have made.

Or am I unclear in what I am trying to say?

Pierre