Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Repost. My Uncle Charles

Royal

This is the story about my Uncle during WW2. He died of cancer a couple years ago..at the age of 85

My Uncle Charles War Experences

Charles Fillmore had a bird

Now, that is a story !! These guys were so young then too. And as brave as they came. I've read in a lot of accounts where the parachuted airmen were actually descending into the props of other bombers. That's how thick the sky was with aircraft at times. And most of those bombers went home with multiple flak rips and holes. Amazing !! Just boggles my mind to think that some guys actually LIVED these experiences. And more amazing, even survived them. Real glad your uncle was a survivor. I would have given anything to spend an afternoon listening to him tell it Royal. Those guys were the BEST there was !

In deepest respect,

Rob

copy of a story in a local newspaper that went with his obit.

It has always been a sore spot with me that so many of us fortunate enough to have been spared that hell would take their gallantry for granted. Guys like him (and my uncle, killed in Holland in a tank) are forever owed a debt that society could not even begin to pay ! I honor and revere these people like no other. They are the true American idols in my book !!

P.S.- When my mother passed she made it a point to pass on to me her brothers "letters to home" from the war. I consider them one of my most prized possessions !!

Again, in deepest respect to them and their brothers,

Rob

n/t

my dad just missed being a turret gunner on a b-29,he had a eye that his vision wasn't up to snuff in,so the made a mechanic out of him,he was short,and short people got the turret gunner jobs.a lot of men gave their lives flying the bombing missions,americans and brits and i guess canadians still served under the british at the time.i couldn't hardly believe the casualty rates of the crews of those planes till i saw a show on the history channel.

n/t

I did not find ouit until after his death just what exactly he did.

Those were very brave men... and to this day, we still owe them all a debt of gratitude!!

Fair winds

M

n/t