Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Reporting a find

Tehachapi

Where would I look for regulations on reporting a valuable find such as a diamond ring , bracelet, etc? Is it a local ordinance or a federal ordinance? I want to make sure that I get the item back to the rightful owner and if no one claims it to get it back from the authorities. Thank you for any help. I'm thinking of going to our local police department to see if they know.
Thanx
Tehachapi :detecting:

I doubt very seriously if there is any ordinance anywhere that says you have to turn in your finds in the US. Now, if you find a piece with a name in or on it, I would think you should make an effort to find that person and return their property to them. Other than that, it's finders-keepers. If you are still concerned about returning lost valuables, take your business card to the parks dept., schools, police depts. and tell them if anyone contacts them about a lost article that they can call you and ask if you have found that particular item. The owner would have to provide an accurate description so you can make sure it's theirs. No way would I turn in anything to anybody, they lost it, you found it and if they ask at the appropriate places, you can return it.

Actually, many states have laws on the books about the return of valuable items. Some define that as low ad $50, others more. Some require it be turned in to police where you can file paperwork to get it back if no one claims it in a set time period. Some even require you to pay for the attempt to locate an owner if you want it back. Now, these laws are often ignored by most but they are there....

Well, if you want to abide by that law, then good luck in keeping ANYTHING you turn in, because it will mysteriously turn up missing when you go to get it back...Like said above...If there is a name or in the case of a class ring, a school name and year, then by all means, try to find the owner, but if there are no identifying marks, I usually look through the lost and found adds in the local paper, craigslist, and ("yourcity".com) to see if anyone reports it missing...After 30 days, if no one reports it missing...IT IS MINE!!!
It is a modified Pirate's Code...

"Take what ye can...Give Back what ye can..."

HH,

Thank you everyone for the good information. I like the idea of posting business card at different agencies to get the article back to the rightful owner. I was just curious as to the laws of returning lost pieces back to the owner. You'll be hearing from me when I fnd my first finds and more. I think I've found a great hobby and have others in the family who want to get involved :clapping:

I would have never thought such laws existed. Do you have any specific states where such laws exist? I'll bet most TH'ers aren't aware of such laws.

Do a search for found property and your city or county and you'll usually find a police maintained website for found property. A call to the public information office might surprise you about what the law is. Many ignore it as I said but posting it all over the internet could possibly bite you if the owner sees it and makes an official complaint. The penalties are there on the books.

Here in New York, by "LAW" anything over 50 years old is considered an antique and is supposed to be turned in to your local museum or historical society...I literally "POO" on this law...It was made so that the archaeologists and museum directors could get all the credit for "YOUR" discoveries...Now if I found something from 500 years ago or something, THEN I would turn it in if I thought it had historical significance...Who cares about a 50 year old penny???

HH,

We have something similar here, no one pays attention to it. One guy at the beach did catch it from a cop who saw him find a wedding ring and informed him he'd better turn it in to the police, fill out the paperwork and wait to see if it was claimed. Me, I don't find anything worth claiming......and they ain't getting my 1905 Indian Head either!

I'm in upstate NY and had to get permits to MD on some state park beaches. The rules that come with the permits state that if I find anything worth more than $20 it shall be returned to the owner or deposited with the Park Police. They reference Section 252 of the Personal Property Law. I haven't bothered to research the law and haven't found anything worth more than $20, as of yet. If I do find something worth more than $20, I think I'll hang on to it and leave my card.
A wise man taught me this adage:
Love many,
Trust few,
Paddle your own canoe.
HH, Mac

Amen Mac...I hide anything good and claim to have only found clad and pull tabs...

HH,

I'm liking the idea of keeping some of the sharp trash around permanently. One parent at a tot lot was really pushing wanting to know what we were finding so I showed her the broken bottle neck with the screw top still on, rusty razor blade and a few other gems and suddenly I was a civic minded hero protecting children.

Found anything today? Just some change and dangerous trash, lookie here! Of course that's usually all I'm finding...:confused:

Here in Nebraska at the army core of engineers lakes anything worth more then 25 dollars is to be turn in at the lakes office.then if not claimed after so many days they say you get it back lol .