Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Replacement Shafts ?

Danno

Hi all,

I believe you can get after market, replacement shafts for the X-Terra series?

Has anyone got any recommendations and reasons for using such an upgrade?

If made of glass fibre, I guess it might help reduce background noise, be lighter, look sexier or whatever ?

Cheers,

Danno

The only reason you'd need another shaft is if you want to swap coils. A some folks do while out on a hunt and if you have it attached to another lower shaft, it's a bit more conveniant. The only other lower shaft, is the short one. A lot of folk find the standard one to be too long; me included. I just cut mine down though. They are all made of the same stuff.
Mick Evans.

Thanks Mick,

I was looking at Andrews products with some interest http://www.andersondetectorshafts.com/

They make a great looking shaft kit for the X-Terra. That would be handy to be able to swap coils quickly.

Danno.

Plugger makes a nice straight rod, Beale.

http://www.rodsbyplugger.com/site1/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=45

Thanks Beale,

I'll have a look.

Danno

I do not think Pluggers upper-straight-shaft is non-metallic(Carbon Fiber), but Anderson(Detector Shafts) does make one.

On the one that comes with the X-Terra's, on that stock S-bent upper-shaft, the lower rod only slides up so far before it dead ends. If a person gets an upper straight shaft(costs extra for the non-metallic carbon fiber one) like those available from Anderson, the lower rod will slide up further to make the X-Terra more compact(shorter). The same goes for my Musky with the upper-straight-shaft, the lower rod slides about all the way up is an advantage.

Also IMO I do feel a non-metallic carbon fiber upper-shaft will increase the detectors sensitivity as the coil will not pick it up.

As far as lower shafts are concerned like Mick said, I also like shorter lower-shafts and a person can cut it down(and drill a hole for the spring) if need be.

I might be wrong, but I believe Carbon Fibre can also be a source of electrical interference. ?

A friend of mine flys RC Helicopters and I recall him saying something about never winding your Rx's antenna wire around the Heli's Carbon Fibre tail boom as it can cause interference and
servo twitching.

Wonder if that holds true with detectors ?

Actually, has anyone ever given any thought about any unwanted noise or loss of sensitivity that might be caused when the coil lead is wound up round the metal shaft as we all do ?

Danno

I think the Xterra cables are shielded

I just got the straight shaft piece from a whites M6 from my dealer and re-drilled the upper spring holes , works great and the balance is perfect for the 10.5 DD coils. I also used a whites arm cuff turned down for a stand and a fisher arm cuff.......MO