Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Relic programs?

christian_99

I have been hunting another camp that has been pounded for the past forty years. Many wonderful buttons and relics have come out of this camp. As you can imagine, the iron is everywhere and "thick". I have the Explorer I, and would like to find the deeper signals in this camp. Here are my current settings, I have used Cody's three tone set up, with Gain at 7, IM -16, and Audio 1 or 2. Sensitivity is normally at between 14 to 24. I used the stock coil, but got so lost in false signals that instead of going digging for relics, I was digging for iron.

What are some good settings to get the deeper buttons, and relics without digging false signals and wholes. There is much iron, and to be honest with you I have used other machines in the same camp that do very well with iron and would just like to get the "deep" finds that are still in there. Some of the machines that have been used in this camp are, Nautilus, Whites (all brands), Tesoro's, and literally for forty years the camp has been pounded. The finds are still there, as a few weeks ago I dug a nice cuff button using another brand of machine but would like to unleash the power of the Explorer to pull the deeper finds. Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated.

What you need to do is get rid of the stock coil and use either the 5",8" or even get yourself a Joey Coil. The stock coil can't see what is in the ground if there is that much junk in the camp site. These coils will be able to get between the targets and see what the stock coil can't due to been masked from all the Iron signals. You could also try going into ferrous tones and this you should be able to distinguish between the Iron targets and the brass,copper,etc. targets. Some Iron will still sound good,but for the most part you will be digging more good than bad targets. I hope this helps you out and good luck at your camp site.

James, thank you and with that in mind, how deep are you digging your finds at or might you in a camp such as the one I described. Also throw in some "hot rocks" and mild to severe mineralization. I read from one post of another digger, digging bullets with the holes as deep as the length of his arm- however I am used to with the 8" coil, only digging signals up to about 7 or 8" if it is repeatable at best? I wonder if there are any others with some suggestions?

I don't do much or hardly any camp sites. The only thing close to what you are detecting would have to be the Tappen(ND) Civil War Site. I was out there with quite a few of the detecting clubs members last fall and we found 1-2 mini-balls,some pieces of cannonballs,musket balls and a copper arrowhead. We are going back this spring to try and find some more relics from the battle of big mound. The ground isn't mineralized very much up here in North Dakota. I usually do coin hunting and look for jewelery. I have only dug 1-2 hot rocks also. I can find coins up to 11"-12" deep but they tend to be real faint signals. It was exciting to dig relics from the battle of big mound. I didn't think finding relics like that could be as fun as coin hunting, but I was wrong. As for the guy that says he can find bullets at the length of his arm, I don't know if that is possible. Unless he is using a gold machine or maybe a pulse-induction unit. I have dug bullets though at 8"-10" with trash being littered about. Anyways, I'm glad to be of help and hope that the pointers I gave you will help out the next time you are at the camp site. Good luck and hope you find what your looking for!