Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Red Ryder and me

pennywt

Living with my grandmother and her father, it fell to me to put meat on the table. I got my first .22 rifle at age 5.
But my most favorite gun of all time was an old Red Ryder BB gun that my aunt gave me. With that gun I "fought the Japanese, in the Pacific, with John Wayne" and helped "settle Custer's hash at Little Bighorn". Many a murderous tin can met it's doom, When Red Ryder and I were in the field. (and that old gun shot hard enough to penetrate one side of and obnoxious bean can or skulking sardine tin that came into our sites.)
One day, as I lurked in the bush of Bataan awaiting the next banzi charge, I saw my granny come ut to hang clothes on the line.
She must have been feeling frisky, as once she was finished she was almost skipping back to the house, swinging the stainless steel pan she had carried the clothes in, behind her.
I decided to startle her by ringing the pan with a well placed shot.
Taking careful aim, but forgetting to calculate windage and elevation, I shot her in the butt.
For a second, she was surprised and hurt. Then the mad set in. Quickly calculating what John Wayne or Errol Flynn would do in this situation, I decided that if my shooting didn't impress her, my disappearing act would.
I was fast approaching the speed of light, when she let fly ith a piece of cordwood. Down I went and had it not been for that cow pie, I'd probably have skinned my face badly.
(I learned later that she had not intended to hit me, but only to "startle" me.)

that nearly cost us our young lives. That was a good-un!

n/t

never forget, when I was about 9 years old, Lil Brother 5, and Arkie was 13, daddy had bought the guys Red Ryder BB guns for Christmas! I got a dang doll! I was so upset, that as hard had they tried to turn me into a little girl, I was in the midst of being one of the biggest "tomboys" ever. I started crying and daddy asked me what was wrong! "I wanted one of those," I mumbled through tears, pointing at the BB guns.

Well, sure enough, the next day daddy had me one. We played in the gravel pit with them for years. Shooting at each other playing war, and as you said, murdering innocent tin cans that were there for the shooting!

Thanks for taking us back! Those were my fun years for sure! :)

my first bb gun was a crossman that had the barrrel brake down to load it,that thing never worked worth a flip,i got a daisy for christmas one year,my dad realized that the first one was a bad design.the daisy had to be loaded by a one pump action like a shotgun,when i shot it the bb would curve to the right and i would adjust.i shot quite a few sparrows and other birds,including the no-no,mockingbird.

after a while my concious got to bothering me for shooting God's creation just for fun.for years while living in the city i thought urban sprawl and kids with bb guns had killed off all the scissor tales,one of my favorite birds,but i'm happy to report that i see them all the time out here in the country:biggrin:.

that we grew up in, and all the boys would shoot the birds. Almost drove me and Linda Shaw, (whom I have mentioned before) crazy trying to find matchboxes we could use as a casket, then we would bury them. Those boys were so heartless! :angel:

made rubber guns out of car inner tubes and closepins and such. After watching a movie with my hero's in it like Johnny Mac Brown or Lash LaRue or Hoppy I would fight the injins and bad guys. It was no less real becaus e we could not afford a Red Rider though.

I can just see you runnin' full tilt, doin' all you could to avoid the "incoming."

I just loved the story and the belly-crampin' laugh to follow. THANKS!!!

aj

AH yes.... Ive had many of them but never shot my grandmother in the butt!:lol:

This was indeed a great story of what you intended to be a "harmless" prank. I applaud you for trying. Keep em coming.

Lil Brother:)

n/t

From reading your story, you were no different. :rofl: Appears to me that Granny was a good shot with the piece of cordwood. :rofl: Good story, thanks for sharing. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I just remembered getting in to a lot of trouble when I got caught shooting out my neighbors front windows in their house. My Daddy had to replace SEVERAL panes!:lol:

Lil Brother:)

n/t