Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

recovery speed @#$%$@

sube

A setting of 3 on the Nox is actually its fastest recovery speed, raising it higher doesn't make it quicker, it just shortens the audio report.

I read this on another forum is this (true)
Minelab has 3 speeds for fbs fast normal and deep and the nox has 3 speeds also 1 2 and 3 after 3 the audio is clipped making it shorter and shorter till you hit 8 so after 3 the audio is shorten and the speed remains the same .
Thoughts ? sube

Maybe somebody got the recovery speed differences on the Nox 800 and 600 confused. Top recovery speed on the 600 is 3 since it only has three settings. That setting of 3 on the 600 equals setting 6 on the Nox 800 which like you said has 8 settings.

Jeff

Not sure about all that business Sube...I know that if I run recovery 5 on the 800, it doesn’t APPEAR to be as fast as 7, which is what I usually run. “Clipping the audio” and “speed” APPEAR to relate to one another, as it APPEARS to be with FBS. Why would the engineers want to shorten the audio response if there is no other gain to be had? It all just about doesn’t make sense. Unless there’s documentation somewhere, I’d have to assume the recovery speeds are as advertised...the higher the number, the faster it is, at the possible expense of depth and/or ID accuracy...and a shorter audio report.

sube said:
A setting of 3 on the Nox is actually its fastest recovery speed, raising it higher doesn't make it quicker, it just shortens the audio report.

I read this on another forum is this (true)
Minelab has 3 speeds for fbs fast normal and deep and the nox has 3 speeds also 1 2 and 3 after 3 the audio is clipped making it shorter and shorter till you hit 8 so after 3 the audio is shorten and the speed remains the same .
Thoughts ? sube

False.

As sube suggested, "3" is indeed the "optimal" recovery speed setting, for the Equinox 800, from the perspective that -- from an engineering standpoint -- it's where the machine is running at its "most tuned" state (per an engineer involved with the Equinox design). As I understand it, what is affected, when adjusting recovery speed, is the length of the audio report. SO -- if you choose a higher recovery speed setting, the result is to shorten, or "clip" the audio reports, and as such, you can therefore perhaps HEAR more "separation" between tones emanating from closely adjacent targets. Thus, if you are in dense trash, and there are multiple targets lying in close proximity, these targets may be reported by the machine more "clearly" or "separately," at a higher recovery speed setting. This can make it SOUND like the machine is processing things "faster," but it's actually just an adjustment to the audio reports themselves, not the actual "speed" with which the electronics of the machine -- the "architecture" of the unit -- are functioning.

The way I understand the concepts, I think an analogy could be made to illustrate what "recovery speed" does, by using an example from music. In music, a musical style where the singing/playing of notes is performed with each note being "abrupt," or "short in duration," and thus clearly separated from the notes to either side of it, is called "staccato." The opposite style, called "legato," is where instead of short, choppy notes as would be sung/played in a "staccato" piece of music, the notes are more elongated and "smooth," without clear breaks between the individual notes. Things kind of "blend together" in a legato piece of music, as opposed to having clear, brief breaks between the notes, in a "staccato" piece.

These two ideas -- staccato and legato -- are, as I understand it, essentially what recovery speed does. A setting of 1 on the Equinox, is the most "legato" setting, whereas a setting of 8 is the most "staccato" setting. Thus -- choosing a higher recovery speed, where the tones are "clipped," can at times allow you to hear the individual tones (targets) as more clearly "separate," and thus possibly permitting a better chance of you recognizing that there are two adjacent targets beneath the coil, as opposed to when the two tones are "smeared together" into one, as my happen at lower recovery speeds...

Steve

Steve thanks for the write up now I have another? is the nox just one speed all the time such as 1 and 2 are they running at the same speed as 3 and the audio is just longer same can be said for speed 8 being shorter . sube

Goodmore that sounds about right The faster you swing the shorter the audio you should use . Or slow swing in high thrash areas with a higher recovery speed which is just clipping the audio a faster snap shot of the target to separate the targets . Makes me wonder if the explorer series works the same . sube

sube -- yes, I THINK so; I am pretty sure that just like high recovery speeds simply "clip" the audio, low recovery speeds (below 3) are just "elongations" of the audio response.

And I agree with goodmore that manipulating sweep speed is HUGE, for several reasons...

BUT, of course, there is also some point at which a given machine/coil combination is simply INCAPABLE of achieving separation of two adjacent targets when they are TOO close together, no matter your sweep speed, and no matter your recovery speed setting. I think this is a given, and nothing "surprising," but obviously a coil (and the machine it is running on) only have a certain degree of "separation" they can achieve, which is limited by the "physics" of the coil. Beyond this "limit," separation of the two targets is simply impossible, no matter the settings, or sweep speeds.

Steve

Per Page 51 of the Equinox manual....paraphrasing....Recovery speed assists in differentiation of close together targets. Also, Equinox 600 Recovery speed of 1 is equivalent to 2 on the 800....2 on the 600 is 4 on the 800....3 on the 600 is 6 on the 800. It states the 600 does not have the maximum recovery speed of the 800. Whatever the case, in MY hunting conditions(for the most part) the 800 really works well at a Recovery speed of 7. This is an example of where using “set it and forget it” settings will really do damage. You must know what to change and WHY you’re changing it according to the site and conditions within it.