Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

rechargeable batteries

tarajudy

does anybody use rechargeable batteries?? on the at pro and how long do the last? most are 1.2 volt is this OK?

Yes, 10+ hours, All rechargeables are rated at 1.2v per cell. The ATPro knows this and works well on them.

Check out the postings in the ATX forum within the past two months, LOTS of good information on Rechargeables and chargers.

Yes, I've been using Sanyo Eneloops, Sony CycleEnergy, and Tenergy low self-discarge (LSD) rechargeables for a couple of years. I couldn't be happier. I generally get 3 hunts out of a charge, though I don't run them down to one bar - I tend to change batteries once they've been on 2 bars for a couple of hours, because I agree with others that the AT's audio becomes a little less crisp at the low charge levels. I have 3 sets of 4, so I always have a charged set in my pack.

I use a Sony charger that was recommended by an engineer on Amazon as a good low-cost charger that has 4 discrete circuits, so you can charge any number or combo of AA & AAA's. It charges my batteries to 1.4 volts. (Model BCG-34HLD). There are also expensive chargers that can do advanced battery conditioning (discharge, charge, analyze), though I haven't noticed any dropoff in performance thus far - quite the opposite, I think they hold a charge a little longer than when brand new.

At 1500 charges, they should last for many years. I think that the new Garrett ATX comes with Eneloops, so that says something. I've since bought more for everything in the house. I feel good about never putting another battery into the landfill and it suits my personality to buy something that may take a year or two to recoup the investment, but eliminates any cost (beyond the 4 cent recharge) for the foreseeable future.

Others will say that they prefer alkalines for performance reasons - maybe their ears are sharper than mine, but I can't tell any difference except that I change batteries a little more often. On the other hand, I never have to worry about batteries, buy batteries, etc. It's one less thing to worry about when I head out the door, and I like being 'green'. I bought a 4-pack of Tenergy 9 volts that I use in my ProPointers & love 'em too. I've bought Eneloop AA's exclusively for my last several purchases because they're rated 1500 recharges vs. 1000 on the Tenergy's (Chinese knockoffs), and there are other makers now that I haven't tested. Some are re-branded Eneloops (Sanyo invented them). I also have not tested the higher rated (2700mah vs 2100mah) Eneloop or other brands. I decided that for me, getting 500 more recharges was a good trade-off for changing batteries a little more often.

So, that's my story & I'm sticking to it, heh! I haven't shopped for batteries recently, so there may be some new options on the market, too.

According to a email posted here from Garrett sometime back. Double A batteries that are not more than 1.5v are ok to use. There are some that are 1.8v and should not be used.

I have used many kinds of batteries, including rechargeable. I have gone back to alkaline batteries I get on sale from Walgreens or Radio Shack. I get around 40 hours use from them before having to change them. Less without headphones. The Energizer Lithiums lasted longest, about 40 hours before they dropped a single bar. I removed them to use in a camera, and they are still going a year later.
When using rechargable batteries it is important to get the highest mAh you can. The highest I found in a retail store here were Duracell with a mAh of 2450. I bought some online that claimed a mAh of 2600, but didn't even charge in my charger. So stick with quality name brand.

That's pretty well all I use. I can get about 2 years usage out of a set, before the length of time they hold a charge drops off too much! As Water walker stated, go to the ATX Forum and see a lot of information and comments on rechargeable batteries.

Here's the link:

http://www.findmall.com/list.php?96

Use the Eneloops myself. only had them a year, no problems with them. I bought the 8 pack, so I always have 4 fresh ones ready to go. Artie