Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Reasons why we miss coins

steve in so la

Here's a few reasons why we miss coins in a dig:

1. When digging a deep coin the signal disappears. Frequently, I find the coin has dropped out of range or has become moved sideways. When this happens I dig a bunch of dirt in the bottom of the hole and the coin appears. Just this morning this happened 3 times in my hunt

2. The coin may have been part of a dirt clod you pulled out & put to the side. I used to go detecting with a guy who didn't check his dirt well & moved on. Several times I went over his dug dirt & got the coin. As this guy was a know it all I didn't mention my getting the coins.

3.One time I was hard put to find the target and eventually saw a silver ring stuck on the end of my Lesche off to the side of me. Talk about pinpointing :)

4. If you don't set your machine on low disc then a signal may come up or may not repeatedly.

5. You can increase your finds by getting as close to the metal poles, bars, etc as you can. Otherwise you miss targets.

6. Maybe the most blatant one is going too fast. Here's a gold coin on a ring I dug by following another detectorist right behind him but going slower and swinging my coil to the metal bars and away. The ring was close to the metal structure but clearly audible. He whipped right along but I took my time. What's the hurry for anyway?

veomft.jpg

What other tips can you add to this list ? Steve in so la

I primarily hunt Civil War shells and the the most pristine shell I ever dug was in the hole a guy had given up on. The soil was light grey and had a bunch of rusty looking nodules in it,but the rusty looking nodules in the dug dirt didn't cause the detector to respond and all I had to do was dig down about 6" and there was the most perfect 10 lb Parrot shell I had ever seen. Always check the dirt that has come out of the hole to see if it causes the detector to react.

I preach (Keep the coil to the soil) Mine always rubs the ground from one side of my swing to the other. I watch many of my friends swing off the group or the coil climbs on both ends of the swing. They are all missing stuff. Yep I told them many times. Some guys only dig a target if they get a good repeatable signal on the north/south swing then they check the east/west. Not me if I hear it one way I am down and digging!

I swung my :detector: close to the ground and rubbed if it wasn't all rocky gravel.....could have mowed the grass if I had had a blade on it! I had watched the Diggers and wondered how they ever found anything by swinging so high and hurriedly....wasted time when they found something and each had to see what the other found...but it was a program and neither could keep the finds! :angel: Ma

Good advice and very nice ring. My health situation is improving and I'm looking forward to getting back out and detecting the park next door.

Sometimes when we hit a new, large site we are anxious to "do it all" . Even knowing we should slow down we don't sometimes. I make it a habit to go over the original 1/3 of the ground again. And maybe at a different angle like someone said.

Just recently I did this at a huge playground I am doing and dug 7-8 more coins. And after 30+ years digging you would think I'd learn to go slow from the start :( Steve in so la

Our Lord surely blessed you on that day! I have found lots of coins in the same hole quite often but weren't silver like yours or just clad! May you be blessed with more finds like that one as you go travelling and detecting along in your retirement! I wanted to do that but a lousy husband decided divorcing me was the best for him and actually it has turned out to be the best for me, as I am serving the Lord far better than I did while married so God worked it out for my good and for His purpose for those who love God and are the called according to His purpose! Romans 8:2eight! God Bless! :angel: Ma

When I was at a new sight with my ex or alone, I would go rather quickly over the area just to see if it had been detected very much and then slow down if I started finding coins and then would return at another time and usually would find more and more, but if it had been rather well picked over, I would still find a few strays by slowing down and returning again....like Mike seems to do! Oh, how I miss those days but life has many plans with God in control and adjustments need to be made and are made when our bodies say NO, to no more swingin' and a diggin'! So goes life and on to the next season of our years on earth in these mortal bodies! :angel: Ma