Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Real Irish Treasure Story

Arkie John

Just a Strange Day Digging at the Park

Just thought I'd share this. It is a special story. aj

Have you ever had one of those day's that are just plain strange to the point that it makes you sit and THINK about where or why we choose the spots we do to hunt? Well yesterday was one of those I won't forget anytime soon! I've been doing more bass fishing lately than detecting but the wind has been blowing so hard on the lake I decided to go dirt fishing.

The main public park area of Lake Guntersville is probably 2-3 miles long and averages from anywhere to 200' to 700' deep from the parking lots to the waters edge. I've been concentrating mainly on the BIG TREE areas where the most shade is and completely ignored one out of the way spot because it's usually to overgrown to detect. It's a small island of sorts with one HUGE Oak and a picnic table separated by 3 natural drainage ditches and I'd bet that it has to cut by weed eaters. Anyway, the park has a long paved walking trail that stretches the entire length (probably 3 miles) and lot's of folks walk it on a daily basis from every age group.

Well yesterday I found this small area had been cut and cleaned, a new trash can and BBQ grill put up so I decided to give it a go. I hunted in all metal, pulled the usual trash for 30 minutes and a few keeper coins and thought I'd gotten most of it, put the 70 in prospecting mode and hit a deep IH and merc together. I couldn't help but notice an elderly lady watching me from a distance, she stayed there the entire time sitting on another park bench just watching. On my last signal I dug one of those Irish heart rings that has 2 hands clasping together, it was 14K with 2 small diamonds, one inside each hand. I cleaned it off and noticed an inscription inside the band that read ( To my loving Rosie).

As I walked towards the parking lot she spoke to me and said she was glad to see the park service had finally cleaned up that area. We sat and talked for quite awhile, she told me about her husbands affiliation with the park and how this was his & her favorite spot to sit and watch the geese for the last 40 years of his life. With a mixed southern drawl and a still notable Irish accent in her voice she spoke of a ring he gave her before he passed away. I decided a long time ago that if you LISTEN to old folks, well you just might learn something! She told me all about Ireland and how she met her husband to be as a young girl during the war and all about coming to America. Then she filled me in on how that old park bench was put there by her husband, it was the first one for the park. After his death she sold her home and moved into an assisted living place where some of her friends live.

I guess our conversation went on for well over an hour but she NEVER asked me if I found her ring or told me her name! I told her how much of a pleasure it was meeting her and that I needed to be going, she reached out with her nimble hand and grasped the end of my fingers on my left hand as if I was an old friend saying goodbye for the last time. She didn't know it but I had already reached in my pouch and had the ring cupped in my hand. As she held onto my hand I told her again .... Rosie it was a pleasure, I rolled my right hand around and uncupped the ring. She still hadn't seen the ring and had a blank but smiling look of wonder on her face. She said, how do you know my name ... but still smiling. I raised the ring up at eye level and said this has to belong to YOU! I can't express in words the JOY this brought to the conversation. She was overcome with it, it did my heart good just to watch the look on her face when I placed the ring in her hand. Rosie starred at the ring for what seemed like forever and cried like a baby, she nervously slid it on her finger thanking me over and over again for finding it. I only wish I had my taken camera with me but as always I never seem to have the foresight to keep it handy. But rest assured the image of her kind face will stick with me forever.

As I sat at home last night I couldn't help but wonder the amazing possibilities of how everything unfolded. I came to one conclusion, this hobby never ceases to make me happy.

H.H.
Mike

You found that ring, she was there, you talked , she mentioned her story. The lord works in mysterious way. :) Beautiful story.

And you got so much more pleasure in her smile and gratitude than you ever would just having that ring.

It is an honour to know you.

Sunny skies, calm seas, fair winds

M

goes to show we are sometimes put in the right place at the right time! I know your face will be forever locked in her memory also! I love you! :)

...something happened when I posted. It "glitched" up for a minute or two and then posted. As I re-read, I see where some of my inital intro was not with my post.

The story came out just today, on the Kelleyco website. I thought it was so very special, I had to share. I knew my buddies on this forum would appreciate it so much.

I don't know his full name. He just signed it "HH Mike."

aj

this forum would do, without a doubt! I messed up last night also! I don't have a clue where the first set of photos went!!!! Oh Well! :)

It's still as beautiful being told in the second person. If you don't get warm and fuzzy reading that, it's time to get your heart checked ! Excellent post !

That's what our hobby is all about. I would have been most honored to have given that sweet old soul her ring back! <><

aj

WTG Mike. Whoever you are. :thumbup:

n/t

Kellyco Metal Detector Superstore: [kellyco@reply.mb00.net]

I tried to find the website with the story on it, but this is all I could come up with.

They send me updates every so often, hoping I'll order more big-dollar detectors. Problem is, my little Garrett Ace 250 is doin' just fine for now.

They know that when I get ready to spring for the excal, I'll probably be lookin' at 'em. - Good products, good service...and the treat me nice. (no, I don't have stock in Kellyco)

Have a great day! <><

Johnboy