Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Re: THE GHOST ON HIGHWAY 281...........

Kelley (Texas)

If it is not too hot tomorrow, I might be tempted to ride the bike to this site and take a few pictures. Would anyone be interested is seeing them? The story has already been written by Mr. Eckhardt in the Post below.

Also, I thought that I still had my copy of his book " THE LOST SAN SABA MINES," but I can not find it at the moment. It is a good book and I may have given it to someone as a gift...something I often do. Kelley (Texas)
:)

Re: THE GHOST ON HIGHWAY 281.........
Posted by: TexasCharley [ Send a Message ]

Date: 2 hours ago Registered: Today

I certainly appreciate my story getting some attention here. I'm also the author of a now-OP book called THE LOST SAN SABA MINES. Anyone wanting to see--from the road, since it's on private property--the original 'Lost San Saba Mine,' which is nowhere near anything called San Saba, hasn't been lost since 1907--& Jim Bowie never had anything to do with it or any other mine in Texas--follow these directions. On Texas 71 below Llano there's a road on the west side known as Click Road. It's sometimes marked with a sign reading 'Click Cemetery,' because about the only thing left of the Click community is the cemetery. Turn off 71 onto Click Road. Where the road makes a 90-degree bend to the south, stop. The hill in front of you is Riley Mountain, originally called El Cerro de Almagre by Miranda. About in the middle of the saddle there are two huge liveoaks. The original Cueva de San Jose del Alcazar is at the foot of those trees. Locally it was called 'the Boyd shaft.' Today there are two holes there, looking almost like lenses on a pair of eyeglasses. The original hole is only about 4 feet deep. The hole next to it was dug in the 1920s by the Almagres Mining Company of Llano, in an attempt to find where the silver vein might have pinched out. The location was verified by none other than Dr. Herbert C. Bolton of Austin, author of TEXAS IN THE MIDDLE 18TH CENTURY, among much else. By his own statement, 'with Miranda's report in hand' he followed the Miranda party's trail landmark by landmark to locate the original Spanish shaft. The Almagres Mining Co., when it dug the new shaft, dumped its spoil down the Spanish hole.
Don't let the external appearance of Riley Mountain fool you. It's covered with limestone & nobody would think it could be a 'hill of red ocher' unless they dug into it. Less than a foot under that limestone cover you'll find all the 'almagre' you could possibly want.
TexasCharley

n/t

It is a great book and you need to add it to your personal library. The gentleman that posted on this forum yesterday, Mr. Charles Eckhardt, is the man that wrote that book. He has more knowledge about the history of South Texas than any man alive...and he is very popular down here. No, please do not send the book back...that book was a gift to you, I wanted you to have the book. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

It is going to be another 100 plus degrees today and I best not chance a long ride in this heat. Riding the motorcycle for approximately six hours in this heat may be just a tab too much for me...sorry! I am excited about getting a few pictures of this mine and it is at the top of my list of places to visit. There is also lots of Indian history in that area, may take the time to look for a few arrowheads too. Kelley (Texas) :)

found where the road turns south. Texas Mountains are not like BC mountains it seems. I can not pinpoint the area but this is close. I would love to go riding in that country. :D

[attachment 129771 click1.jpg]

[attachment 129772 click2.jpg]

Just to the south of Riley Mountain is the only true box canyon in the Hill Country. It's also the source of a creek that feeds into Sandy Creek. Spaniards called it 'el potrero'--the pasture. For the record, there's gold in Sandy Creek, but it's flour gold. Unless you've got an electronic concentraror the only way to recover it is to amalgamate it with mercury, then boil off the mercury in a retort. You'll spend almost as much for the mercury as you'll get from the gold it recovers & risk your life as well, since mercury vapor is poisonous.

Texas Charley