Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

RE: MY DIGGING TOOLS

XE1UFO

Dear Friends:

After my disappointing first twenty minutes with the :garrett: digging tool (apparently made in China:thumbdown:) and having it break, I went out and bout me a small set of Mexican-made Truper brand garden hand tools. These are warranted for ten years. What I thought was interesting is that the smaller tool is graduated in inches and centimeters, as is the :garrett: .

Also notice that the shaft on the :garrett: pinpointer is already bent:thumbdown:, and I have only used it in my own yard. So I think I will get me a Truper Philip's screwdriver with a 12-inch shaft, and round off the point. What do you think?

That is a probe, a pin pointer is a small hand-held metal detector like this...
They generally cost $15.00 to over $100.00, your choice, I use the Harbor Freight one, it works and its cheap like me. Personally I cant use my detector without the Pinpointer, some times I dig past my target and it locates them in the side of the hole better than my old eyes can.
[attachment 92706 pinpointer.jpg]
A cheap alternative is available at Harbor Freight online:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97245
[attachment 92707 972451.gif]
Detects metal objects in all directions
Highly precise identification system with adjustable sensitivity
Waterproof wand
Compact, lightweight design
Includes LED spotlight and carrying case

Weight: 0.40 lbs.
Uses one 9V battery (included). Overall dimensions: 10-9/16" L x 2-7/8" W x 1" H;

ITEM 97245-1VGA

$14.99

This one will last a lifetime. I think your others will bend.
http://predatortools.com/item_details.asp?ID=42

I have a Lesche that looks just like this. Would be impossible to break or even bend while recovering targets.

Chris

The Predator is built by George Lesche himself. I believe he was forced out of the company he built - Lesche tool. Then he went out on his own again and started Predator tools.

Interesting information, Kenny.

Chris

Thanks to all for the tips! Khouse: here in Mexico I go to jail if I carry any knife with a length longer than the breadth of the hand. That Predator looks great, but might get me in trouble!

Same deal on blade length here in Florida, is it a knife or a shovel or trenching tool, I would hate for them to bust me for digging in my garden but some people do dig treasure with big knives as their tool of choice. HH

I use a 24 - inch Phillips. That way I don't have to bend over much or get down on my knees. Ifbthat broken digger came from Garrett send it back and get your money back ora replacement. They might be interested in knowing they're peddling some junk.

Bill

I bought a stainless steel trowel at the local Fred Meyer store here that you couldn't break if you drove a D-8 Cat over it and it only cost a few bucks, but I'm not into digging with trowels and such. I like to leave the area I hunt as I found it. I very rarely use a digging tool and if I do I use the EZ-Digger made by my buddy Stan. It is especially designed for popping coins out of the ground with a sliding fulcrum on the shaft. It is all stainless steel and unbreakable.

Bill

Yeah Stan makes some great stuff. He makes a handle for the GTI 2500 that folds up against the shaft when not in use that allows you to swing the 2500 with two hands and makes it light as a feather. I've had one for ages. For thiose who find the 2500 a bit heavy and tiring this accessory is a welcome addition.

Bill.

What kind of depth do you get? I have a Sun Ray that gets up to five inches and you can actually detect shallow targets with it. Works great up next to metal of any kind.

Bill

I use a long, thick flat screwdriver. I just file the edges to soften them. Works great. I hardly ever pull oput my spadae.

That broken digging tool sure looks like a Garrett product, it is identical to this kit on compuplus.com
[attachment 92761 GARRETTCOINDIGGINGKIT1.jpg]
They also sell the Ace 250 on this site for $185.00, thats a pretty good price in my book, didn't check the shipping rates though.
I have a couple of cheap plastic diggers in my bag, I only use them in soft sandy soil, since they are plastic I can wave them under my coil to see if my target is in the scoop. I think I am going to fire up the cutter and welder and see if I can make a good digging tool. I am beginning to think like Uncle Willy and use my probe as much as I can and cut down on the crater size and excavation time, at least in the sandy Fl soil. HH

I use this $15 digging tool from walmart and Home Depot:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8727970

It works great, and I have put mine through hell and it hasn't failed yet!!!!