Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

RE: HOW ABOUT A :garrett: ACE 250 FORUM CLASSROOM?!

XE1UFO

This is probably one of the fastest selling detectors at the moment. It would be great to have a Forum Classroom, like the one for the Infinium, for all of us who are just learning the ropes on this machine.

That would be cool, but the Ace 250 is so darn easy to learn. I just started this year, but I am very confident that I have a solid handle it. I'm not saying that I'm a metal detecting guru, but its such a great and well put together machine and everything is straight forward controls, that anybody can literally take it out of the box and find all kinds of great stuff on their first hunt. :detecting:

Doing a search should answer every question ever thought of on the 250.
I don't know the count but I would venture to guess that THIS IS the 250 forum. I would bet there are more posts for the 250 than any other model?

You mean more post about the 250 vs any other GARRETT model? Yes, I would say that is correct.
The Ace has very much overshadowed the other Garrett machines. The Ace is probably the very best low priced machine out there for
new people just getting into the MDing hobby. Surpriseingly, even many seasoned MDer's use the Ace more than their other machines.
The important thing to remember is that this is an entry level machine that preforms as well or better than many mid-level metal detectors.
Fisher has come out with the F2 (an entry level machine) and while it is more sensitive and pinpoints better because it uses the concentric coil and not the elipitcal like on the Ace, It is still not quite up to snuff. The reason I think is that it is TOO SENSITIVE and people have a time getting used to that.
The F2 is sensitive to electrical signals more than the Ace (in my opinion), and more prone to mineralizedation than the Ace. Both machine are factory preset ground balanced. Nevertheless, both machines are decent and preform well for the beginner. The Fisher is said to have more depth than the Ace but since most coins are going to be found withing the first 2-5 inches it doesn't matter. They are both good coin and

robert roy said:
Fisher has come out with the F2 (an entry level machine) and while it is more sensitive and pinpoints better because it uses the concentric coil and not the elipitcal like on the Ace, It is still not quite up to snuff.
[size=large]... The Ace 250 DOES have a concentric coil.

The physical shape of the housing is elliptical, but the internal Transmit & Receive windings are of a concentric design. Concentric and wide-scan (Double-D) coils can be housed in round or elliptical shapes. Personally, I don't have a problem pinpointing with the Ace 250, and generally in the center of the coils axis ... IF the target shape and position is favorable to such a task.

Monte[/size]

Monte said:
robert roy said:
Fisher has come out with the F2 (an entry level machine) and while it is more sensitive and pinpoints better because it uses the concentric coil and not the elipitcal like on the Ace, It is still not quite up to snuff.
[size=large]... The Ace 250 DOES have a concentric coil.

The physical shape of the housing is elliptical, but the internal Transmit & Receive windings are of a concentric design. Concentric and wide-scan (Double-D) coils can be housed in round or elliptical shapes. Personally, I don't have a problem pinpointing with the Ace 250, and generally in the center of the coils axis ... IF the target shape and position is favorable to such a task.

Monte[/size]

A concentric fitting is a round fitting. Are you saying it can be concentric in design and be shaped elliptical. If it is elliptical wouldn't that send out an elliptical signal? The 6.5x9" signal print.

What is the concentric design verses the elliptical?

The path to the 2500 from the Ace 250 is a snap, though. It is just a matter of getting a handle on the settings which takes about 15 minutes and then there is the extra weight. If you can pinpoint accurately with a 250, you will be super duper accurate with a 2500.

Chris

OK, I'll admit it now. I tried the F2. Although for the money it will get the job done but I had some issues with it. The notch in or out wasn't as easy or as fast as the 250. Also you couldn't notch out the 3 high target zones if you wanted to. Also with the small 4 inch coil you couldn't get within a foot of the steel supports at the tot lots with the sens all the way down. In my air tests the F2 and 250 were the same. Plus it ran on 2 - 9 volt batteries. The coil cable didn't have a locking not on it. There wasn't a mode setting. I'm not saying it's a bad detector - it's not. But it is no Ace 250. So I sold the F2.

The real truth is the 250 out hunts all the higher end garrett and other brand detectors at all the coin club hunts here in north texas. So that said and the ease of operating there probably is no need for a forum. The rich guys with the high end detectors are the ones who need a forum and help lmao :stretcher:

And you base this statement on what?

Whoa easy guys,
Ah'm gettin' dizzy wi' aw this talk about concetric versus elliptical.
As long as it works who cares, and it works.
:rofl:

He's talking about a classroom like I used to run before it turned into this forum. But as you say, with all the info in the archives this place is a wealth of info.

Bill

I think what Monte is trying to say is that elliptical coils can be concentric and although the windings are shaped elilptical the configuration is still concentric having one or more transmit or recieve windings of unequal diameter aligned on a common center.

Bill

WHATEVER the shape and configuration, after thinking about it, that's pretty smart using it that way. Kinda like using the technique of finding the depth and size in industry use electronically and applying it to imaging on their imaging series. The most important classroom is YOUR classroom where you experiment with all the settings and nuances of your machine, whether it be the 250 or the F-2,etc. I bought a Tesoro Royal Sabre for $75 w/no instructions and a bad coil and it is probably one of my favorite machines because I had to learn about it from scratch. I use the 250 for field searching and the Royal in high trash areas because I only have a small coil for it-at the present. But as one poster said, the other things such as coil connections being kept tight and free,cell phone distractions, wiggling,etc. can be found in this forum.:drinking: