Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

RE: DO BURRIED TREASURES EMIT A DANGEROUS GAS?

XE1UFO

According to popular urban legend here in Mexico, wherever there is a treasure valuable buried:
Version #1: Toxic gas will be emitted when it is uncovered, and kill the finder.
Version #2: The "Blanca" will appear, a translucent-white figure of a woman. (In Spanish, they say: "Se aparece la Blanca".)

One of Mexico's two metal detector manufacturers includes three free gas masks with every detector purchase! The founder became filthy rich 55 years ago, by detecting with his Geiger counter where people reported seeing the "Blanca". See their page in English here:

Detectores S.A.

If this is so, would there be any advantages to adding gas detection to our metal detectors?

Now, I can imagine that buried metals (and dead bodies and garbage for that matter) might form some kind of gas resulting from chemical reaction to soils, or decomposition,etc. But is it lethal? Is it something we should be concerned about?

Now, I know of a few treasure hunters who do emit dangerous gases... :stars::)

The only gas problem here is after one of the hunter's in our group visits a Taco Bell.No need for a gas mask just keep you distance..

A story to keep most folks away from treasure and second to sell more equipment. I understand how stuff starts like that, my wife is from the Philippines near the jungles, you hear all kinds of folklore.

I have not heard of treasure emitting dangerous gas.
I am out there breathing in fresh air, soaking up the sun, belching and expelling gas, it just doesn't get any better.
By the way that is a great call you got there...73... Z

Zeekeys: Are you a ham operator as well? I am XE1UFO here in Mexico and KA5SUT in the U. S.

Sure thing. K8GTB. Living in Milwaukee, WI. Was kg4bm. Ran W6ydk, w4pfc, and kg4am while in the service. Did a lot of phone patches from kr6, ka7, kh6 land in the early 60's. In fact that is about all I did while in the service. I was a 2533 mos radio code operator. Worked for Amateur Electronics Supply in the mid 60's in Milwaukee. Haven't done much hamming in recent years. Thanks for the memories... Jer

Thanks XE1UFO... Even Magic Man is a vet, 24 years in the Army.