Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

RatPhone replacement cord ?

Tod NE

Hi All,
Hope this is the best forum to post this. I've looked around pretty good, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask: Does anyone know where to get a Rat Phone cord (coiled with 1/4" male mono on one side, and 1/4" male stereo on the other side). I tried a guitar cord which doesn't work, but I guess it will with an adapter (to make one end stereo). But, that solution seems a bit "rinky dink" to me, and probably wouldn't last too long.

I guess I could solder a stereo end on a coiled guitar cord, but again - if I could find one with molded ends (like the original ones) it would probably last longer.

Part of the reason I wanted Ratphones was the replaceable cord. I thought maybe someone knew a dealer that had a few left?

Thanks!

Try Rick The maker of the Rat Phones.
If no luck there.. Email me as I know how to make you a cord
Duggr

Ricks email
rjv@rickviola.com

You won't get one from Rick. As Ricky recommended get a guitar cord and make your own.

[attachment 223105 2012-02-11_181745.jpg]

. . . for the warm welcome, and thanks Duggr for Rick's email and for the offer to make a cord. Much appreciated. I'll let you know.
Thanks again,
Tod

OK - thanks for that info, and for the diagram. I'm pretty good at soldering, so might give that a spin.

It's a modified Mono plug, see picture below and post from Rob (IL).

P2165731.jpg

ivanll

Thanks Ivanll (and Rob IL) ,

I see. So, to keep the signal from grounding out (shorting out), I need to keep the ring from touching the sleeve ground. I just need to file down that section of the sleeve so it makes no contact.

Great info - much appreciated !

Ivanll - shows Image Error - File Not Found; did you remove the image, or is there some other problem that I can't see the image you posted?

What I did on the first 100 or so Ratphones was to get a mono guitar chord, score a nice edge on the sleeve about 1/4" away from the tip with a small pipe cutter, then carefully file until I got to the insulator, then peel off.
Note, some machines dont use the center conductor ans no shorting will occut with a mono plug, like Minelab.
The reason most machines use the center conductor is so you can have audio on both sides if you use home stereo phones.
Here is the info I have on adapters:

Do it yourself Rat Tail:
You can make your own emergency Rat Tail
with a coiled guitar cord
and a mono jack to stereo plug adapter for the machine side
for example Radio shack 274-1520.
Adapter not needed for Minelab/Garrett/Fisher machines.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103725

They used to sell the perfect length coiled guitar chord, but it was discontinued in favor of one that is a bit too long.
No I don't have anymore. It would cost about $1200 to get more made.