Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

rat hunting

david(tx)

i've killed two mice and a good sized pack rat in two days with traps.the pack rat has been gnawing on the subfloor or joists,i can't tell which one but it sure is an aggravating sound.i hate using traps but i've come to see they are the most effective.i always hesitate to use poison until this last spell.

i don't want the rats dying and stinking up the place and i wouldn't want others pets or a game bird eating them.i was told at the feed store that this bait would embalm the rat and the wouldn't stink so i decided to give it a try.i was just putting it under the house to see if mister or mrs.pack rat would eat it.

it comes in little disks that have a whole in the middle.i threw a couple in just inside the access to the crawl space.checked it the next day it was gone.hopefully packrat will be history in a couple of days.nope,he just keeps on gnawing,waking me at night.the mice were leaving their droppings on the dryer,and getting into cabinets.

well,i think to myself,maybe packrat just took the bait and hid it somewhere.so i took a piece of 2x4 and nailed the bait to the board and back under the house it goes.check it the next day and its gone.alright i think,he had to eat some to get it off the board.nope,he is gnawing again the next night.

so i set a trap again with chunky peanut butter,i check it the next day and the trap is sprung and the peanut butter is gone.next night two more disks of poison,next day gone.i noticed the rat slowed down a bit,i thought maybe he was whacked by the bow on the trap and maybe wounded.

but a few nights later he/she is their usual self.i get another big wood block trap because i thought maybe the springs were weak on the old one.i set it last night with cheese this time.i tie some baling twine to it and use concrete blocks to make sure he has only one way into the trap.

i achieved a couple of blisters on my fingers from the small wood traps from setting them,it seems they changed the design to make it harder on you and not the mouse.the big traps are still the same and boy am i glad:biggrin:well success last night,rwo mice and a packrat with his eyes bugging out.

i think i will ask the guy at the feed store what good the poison is.i used moth balls underneath the hood of my mothers car after the packrats ate the insulation of the injector wires,but the guy who fixed the wires said use poison.i think i'll get some PVC pipe thats big enough for rats to get in but not the squirrels.

i think i'll put several stations of them around and see if i can get some reputable poison and eliminate some of the rat population.i hate the idea of another animal getting into eat it,or a sick rat being eaten.

like you mentioned, injector harness, engine harness etc. Many air filter boxes filled with a rats nest, or many mice inside the heater blowers! Even had vacuum hoses knawed through. One time, had a mouse jammed between a brake pad, and rotor.Don't know how it managed to do that, but saw it with my own eyes!

In our home there have been an increasing number of mice. The various things we have stored on shelves in the basement show evidence of their living there. I started with Have-a-Heart traps and caught a few. These were taken a half mile or so away and dropped in the edge of thee woods. After thinking about it for awhile I decided that perhaps it wasn't doing these relatively tame creatures a favor dumping them in the wilds. I came to view the whole thing as being more inhumane than a quick death in a regular trap!

I noticed also that the wire cage wasn't catching any more mice. I think they get shy of them after a while. I then tried a couple of fancy plastic traps with only a couple of carcases to toss in the trash. I was starting to get desperate and tried several of the sticky pad type traps. Two small ones (as in very young) were caught and dead from their struggles, I guess because I didn't ever find them alive. I caught two grown mice , one of which was eaten by something. There was evidence of several that had been caught and managed to get free of the stick-um somehow! These gel pads stopped producing too after a while.

Finally I stopped at a nearby Lowe's and bought six regular wood mouse traps and two rat sized traps. We were starting to hear them gnawing in the walls and my wife was starting to talk about hiring an exterminator. This of course injured my hunters pride, thus the wooden traps!

Now a few months and only several table spoon of peanut butter later, we have twenty two less mice!!!

(WARNING!!!!-WARNING!!!!)

Every time the trap has a mouse in it, I drop the dead mouse in the outgoing kitchen garbage and then rinse off the trap, allow it to air dry to kill scents. I again load the paddle with PB and carefully reset it and place it in an out of the way spot. After a few uses the staples holding the trap together start to pop out under spring tension!! This could damage an eye!! I have taken to using stainless steel wire to re-enforce the staples and now they can't pop. Wear safety glasses at the very least when setting these traps!!!

Cupajo

I leave the basement door open and since we have a log house, there are no rats in the walls. But the attic and basement have their possibilities... therefore, the Jacks get to patrol every day. Although we do not find any bodies, we also do not find any sign of mice or rats. Either the Jacks get them, or the mere fact of patrolling scares them off.

Fair winds

Mikie

the little traps are pretty cheap and i also wash them off.the big traps will rust up a bit.watch those fingers:biggrin:.

but your jacks are good buddies too.i think when my moms cats were around the packrats weren't a problem but the mice still showed up sometimes.the cats tended to hunt out away from the house in high grass where they could hear them moving.

dealership that could get expensive.i'd bet at least once in your years working there a customer has brought a car in for one problem and you ended up having to fix another because of varmits.

but those dang mice and rats gross me out. I had never known that pack rats really existed until when I was in Canada, and I think it was me, Mikie, Alice and Royal were up on top of a mountain and rumaging around in an old shed. There was something really stinking it up and Mikie told me that what a pack rat smelled like! YUK! It was horrible. Any, glad you finally got your problem fixed and hope you have good night's sleep from now on! :)

A 40 pounder of Canadian Club, a .22 rifle, a box of shells and away you go, entertainment for the whole winter and a bunch of work come summer patching up all of the holes. No mess to clean up as the little ones just 'disappear'.:crylol:

rat shot in 22 cal.i remember in the 60's a friend and his dad would sit outside their garage and shoot them.i never knew exactly the difference,i guess it was a non metal material.

I made some for the ranch and my hunting camps. Take a 5-6 gallon plastic pail and run a piece of thin mechanics wire across the top. Take a pop or beer can and drill a small hole in the end and centered, run the wire through the can, put the can in middle of wire and put a slight crimp in the wire each side of can so it stays in place.
Smear peanut butter on the can and lean a board or such against the pail for the mice and rats to climb.
They will jump onto the can to get peanut butter, the can will spin and down they go! Oops,.....put 6 inches of water in the pail:biggrin:
This worked very well for me.

Hey Wayne,

That sounds like a good way to go. When my wooden traps wear out, or stop producing, I'll give that a try. This house does have limited space to fit in a pail that large though. I wonder if a smaller pail will work?

Maybe I'll have to build one and see.

Good tip!

Regards,

Cupajo

seeds in the water, they will float and it looks solid to the critter, they will not resist jumping into the water either. You gotta empty it occasionally though or they will just climb out on the bodies :D

I used them many years ago when my job was to collect a few hummingbirds.. [Yeah....yeah.. I know... and to this day I still feel bad about it]. But I was working for the B.C. museum back then and I was asked [told!!] to go and get so many examples of this hummer, so many of that, etc..... I did it, and I did not like it back then. Today, there is not enough money to make me do that.

Fair winds

Mikie

n/t