Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ran across an interesting pond...

cubfan64

not too far from where I live. It has a small beach area and has been around for quite a number of years so thought I'd give it a check.

Spent about 45 minutes in the sandy area and quickly realized that it had to have been detected since I was lucky to find a couple bobbie pins and that was it. It's cold here and I'm not tall, so even with my waders on, I didn't want to go chest deep, but instead decided on a whim to move off the sand into the "mucky" crap off to one side. I started getting signals pretty quickly - plenty of junk pieces as well as lots of lead sinkers, but in the middle of all that, I came across these 4 items.

The ring is a 1954 10K class ring with no other indications of owner other than the high school (Lowell HS). The buffalo is actually a readable 1935 and the 2 mercury dimes are 1937 & 1944. Looks like I found an area that other folks haven't bothered to hunt due to the muckiness, junk and difficult in using a scoop to bring up targets and then trying to find them in the basket of goop (dead leaves, branches, stones and "wriggley things.").

[attachment 42349 1954ring.jpg]
[attachment 42350 1954ring2.jpg]
[attachment 42351 120406coins.jpg]

It was obviously in use in the 1930-1950 time frame, so there HAS to be more there - I'm gonna try to get back there a time or two before the water freezes (which may be sooner than I think). It's gonna take a good amount of time and cleaning out of all the junk, but I'm sure there is more good stuff waiting to be found. Odds are there are other areas off the sand there that will be good too - just gotta wait for a little warmer weather to go deeper.

Oh - as an added bonus, I thought I'd share a few pictures of my new "pet." Several times over the past couple weeks while outside working, I've had a Roughed Grouse approach me and even follow me around while I mowed my lawn for the last time. He almost seems tame although he wouldn't take food out of my hand. After my wife got done taking pictures of us the other day I went up on the deck to do some work and the darn thing scared the crap out of me by flying up in to the tree, walking out on a long branch and then hopping/flying onto the deck a couple feet from where I was working to watch me for awhile.

[attachment 42352 grouse1.jpg]
[attachment 42353 grouse2.jpg]
[attachment 42354 grouse3.jpg]

Since then I've read a number of stories about how although this is unusual, it isn't all that uncommon for Grouse to develop some kind of odd attachment to a human like this. As you can see, my dog would love to get outside and make an "attachment" of his own :devil:

enjoy the pics

looking at what I'm sure he hopes is a light snack before dinner

[attachment 42355 grouse4.jpg]

His name is Forest. We don't really know all that much about him as he was a "rescue dog" we got from the Brittany Rescue Association. They think he's around 8 years old and he was found wandering around some backroads in the middle of winter in Michigan.

We had recently lost our last dog "Ginger" to what they believe was a burst tumor in her stomach - got home from work one day to find her almost gone - almost as though she wanted to wait for me to get home to say goodbye as we had to put her to sleep as soon as I got her to the animal hospital because she had lost so much blood.

Anyways, we were devastated as we only had her for a few years and before that had a cocker spaniel that passed away young due to cancer. We decided we were just going to take a break from being dog owners for awhile - but alas, it was less than 3 months before we decided we wanted to help out lost animals and discovered the rescue site for Brittany's.

We went through a pretty extensive application as well as a visit from someone in the Association to make sure we would be good "parents" and within a short time they put together a convoy of drivers to bring Forest here from a Michigan kennel.

He's a sweetheart, although his previous owner(s) obviously didn't pay much attention to training him because he's got a bit of hard-headedness we still need to work on, but overall he's a very welcome addition to our family and gets along well with our cat.

Thanks for asking - my wife and I are truly animal lovers - she's lucky I'm level headed though because she's the kind of person who wouldn't be able to turn away any living creature and our house would be full of every stray in the county :)

It's not nice to torture that dog. Brittany's were bread to hunt grouse.

Hit the pond hard after the level drops after the thaw.

the grouse is way cool, ? are you going to eat him ? just kidding. the pond may not be detected just all the goodies pushed to the sides. definately get out deep when it warms up. I hate that mucky stuff but you gotta do what ya gotta do:poke: