Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ramblings of Fall and a Wannabe Farmer

SurfCutter

Well as most of you know I grow pumpkins on a little 20 acre patch , for the most part the season has been good as far as the crop and harvest go. Personal life it has been less than ideal , but I am recovering ...and will heal
Today was one of those days that gives lift to the soul and joy to the heart but not for the discomfort I may have caused but the show of spirit in a small form ....
Now that the harvest is over I now turn my attentions to getting the field and equipment ready for next year . This means taking up and putting away the soaker hose , pulling up the row marker steaks , bush hogging the corn stocks and weeds.
After all that is done I then have to get my soil tested and spread lime if needed ,and fertilizer and plant my winter cover crop of rye . This is also the time to change the oils in the gear boxes and tractor grease as needed after all field work is done ...
Today I bush hogged the back field with the idea of also setting up for deer hunting both bow that is current on now and the gun seasons later on . the patch of corn I bush hogged was the first plant of early corn and after it is picked out it is left for the rest of the summer to weed up , now it is or was 3-4 feet of cover and feed for bird , mice and the deer which are getting very plentiful due to low hunting pressure . I have seen more deer in the last 2-3 years than I have every seen in the first 20 years of active hunting in no way shape or form am I what I would call a real/true hunter , one that can look at the land and see the sign well enough to set up a successful hunt and quick kill . Some that I know can make deer hunting look so simple others it is just dumb luck ....me it's hard work and luck but with the increase in the deer it is getting more and more easier . I worry that their are to many for the land and that my pumpkin crop will be damaged due to deer feeding forcing me to fence my patch ....time will tell.
Back to this morning , I started to cut the back corn patch knowing this is a possible day bedding area and cover and I was soon proved right that on my 6th pass around the field a small spike horned buck was most upset with me . he blow and stomped his feet flicked his tail and bobbed his head around as I made 4 passes by him as close as 5 yards away to let me know he was not happy with having his bed room cut down , but it will make it easier to feed on later in the season and at night now that the corn is on the ground and not having to take it off the stocks . on the 4th pass he turned away and stomped of in to thick cover for another part of the farm as I finished mowing the southern piece by the pond .

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=124+bryant+st+West+Bridgewater+MA.&sll=37.160317,-59.765625&sspn=83.47302,158.203125&ie=UTF8&ll=42.012762,-71.007407&spn=0.005006,0.009656&t=k&z=16&om=0

Completing that I then went over to the piece by the road on the west side of the farm and it was on the 3rd pass if I did not kick up this same little buck and if looks could kill I would have been ,,,,twice now I have disturbed his rest and he was not happy about it and you could easily see this in the way he moved as he trotted from this piece to the Oak trees and cover to bed down again . I felt a bit guilty having pushed him twice now and left a bit and will do it later ...

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=124+bryant+st+West+Bridgewater+MA.&sll=37.160317,-59.765625&sspn=83.47302,158.203125&ie=UTF8&ll=42.022518,-71.004553&spn=0.005006,0.009656&t=k&z=14&om=0&output=embed&s=AARTsJoAoJvS7GWNyyTHujfKkraxiJ64eA"></iframe><br /><small>View Larger Map</small>

Gee ..the map photo worked ...Lol
Bill G.

good job on the update, story, and google map. Now give that snotty little buck a home in your freezer!:biggrin:
Happy to hear that you are doing ok:thumbup:

Thanks ,,, LOL
I think I would rather take the 6 pointer , (eastern count) that I failed to sneak up on and get a shot at .... Thursday the 18th I went out to the field to get the seat off my tree stand before it rained here Friday , well I was sneaking alone and checking out the rows of corn and not watching the edge of the woods and 5 yards from my stand and 35-40 yards from me at the corner of the rows of corn a nice small racked buck was watching me when I finally saw him , I was able to nock an arrow but he turned and bounded away before I could draw .... William the Harmless still hunts ...lol
Bill G.

We are just getting everything winterized up here too. I THINK we have enough hay for the horses... water pump is away, hoses dried and rolled up, etc, etc, etc.

I may complain... but deep down I do enjoy it. :)

fair winds

Mikie

n/t

[attachment 71179 BillG.jpg]

<iframe width="475" height="400" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=124+bryant+st+West+Bridgewater+MA.&sll=37.160317,-59.765625&sspn=83.47302,158.203125&ie=UTF8&t=k&om=0&s=AARTsJoAoJvS7GWNyyTHujfKkraxiJ64eA&ll=42.012268,-71.0079&spn=0.006377,0.010192&z=16&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small>View Larger Map</small>

Yes ..But to be correct in the current way of things it is my Mom's farm .... it is the group of fields to the left of the line of bushes and trees that cover the stone wall and the to street across the top and to the left side and at the bottom you can see the roofs of my neighbor's turkey houses ...Asack's Turkey farm with his fields ..
Bill G.