Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Rainy weekend but we need it up here

Royal

We got out on that Bacus Lake that I showed the pictures of a week or two ago. It is the lake that was still frozen. It was a beautiful day but windy. There are absolutely no homes or cottages on this series of lakes, so we had it to ourselves.

I say we had it to ourselves but that is not absolutely the truth. We had only been out for a few minutes when Mary yelled, "Look!" I looked up and there was a beautiful Bald Eagle about thirty feet over my head. Now this is no big deal for you folks in the northwest but for me it is a thrill. It looked like it had a fish in its talons.

Mary is a bit nervous in these backwaters as she calls them the "Humpy Places" We were out on one a few years ago and the fish were spawning. Pike, Bass and Dogfish. Well we were paddling through the Lilly pads and of course that was where the fish were. Some of those fish were rather large and when our passing would spook them they would sometimes hit the kayak with a thunk! This instantly changed her opinion of kayaking the shallow backwaters. :D She finally relaxed and enjoys it now.

We saw a pair of Osprey on a nest. The DNR puts nesting platforms in these areas. I have posted pictures of them but for those that have not seen them they are a pipe platform in the shape of a pyramid, with a nesting area at the top. They are set on islands or out in the water where predators can not get to them.

We saw a pair and moved closer. They started their high pitched screeching to let us know we were not appreciated. We try to stay away but we had no bionoculers so moved within a hundred yards or so. They took off and looked like they were dancing in the sky. I think they were doing a courting flight, soaring and flipping over to face each other in the sky.

They went pretty high and the sky was full of their screeching. Soon there was another pair with them and as we neared the nest area they got excited and came down to protest. It worked as we backed off. I tried to get Mary to paddle right up to the platform so I could get some great action shots of them beating the crap out of her but she was not in the mood for it that day :D

We saw a bunch of deer in the yard, ten at one time and I heard a bunch of coyotes yesterday morning from my deck. What a racket they put up and last night I heard turkey gobbling in the woods across the street.

All in all, even with the rain, it has been a nice weekend. We are going for a hike in a while in a Nature Preserve I found while Geo-caching. Such a beautiful area. I hope the rain lets up.

By the way, that dang Robin is out there beating the crap out of that basement window as I type!!

He happens to be lucky I did not have the 'eradicator' handy!! :) So he gets to live a while longer. If they want to sing up at the north field, no problems. But I will not have them checking out the Jacks and the chickens!!! :)

Sounds like a great weekend. Only 3 more days and then I will be batching it for a while.

Sunny skies

M

JUST KIDDING! Rainy here today too. Need it bad. Had redflag warnings all last week.

Dave