Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Rain & Dust Covers

rl1059

Just wondering if any of you have had any experience with the 2 piece rain & dust covers offered by Kellyco?
I will be going to Florida early sept. it will be my first experience of surf and beach hunting. I have this thought
that keeps telling me salt spray,sand and electronics do not mix.
I didn't know if these covers might help or if you have any advice or tips ( besides don't drop in water )
also I know the coils are supposed to be "waterproof" any precations here besides keeping the coil and
lower rod below the controls. I guess make sure the cord connector is tight and rinse in clean fresh water??
Just wondering if there is something else I can do to help protect my investment on the MXT & Coils
Thanks to all.
RL

rl1059 said:
Just wondering if any of you have had any experience with the 2 piece rain & dust covers offered by Kellyco?
I will be going to Florida early sept. it will be my first experience of surf and beach hunting. I have this thought
that keeps telling me salt spray,sand and electronics do not mix.
I didn't know if these covers might help or if you have any advice or tips ( besides don't drop in water )
also I know the coils are supposed to be "waterproof" any precations here besides keeping the coil and
lower rod below the controls. I guess make sure the cord connector is tight and rinse in clean fresh water??
Just wondering if there is something else I can do to help protect my investment on the MXT & Coils
Thanks to all.
RL

Going to the beach with MXT is a VERY bad idea.

For beach/wading in addition to MXT I bought PI PRO, that I later upgraded to DUAL FIELD. You will destroy your MXT. Just one drop of water in the brain box will be enough to kill this genius but water vulnerable machine!!

There are plenty of people that hunt the beach with the MXT, unless you go swimming with it, and you take some precautions, you should not harm your MXT!!
Do not raise the coil higher than the control box, as water might run inside of the shafts and possibly get in the control box and fry it, you can help prevent this by "plugging" the inside of the lower shaft, but you should train yourself not to raise the coil and the covers aren't a bad idea to avoid the occasional splash.

The above is only if you go in the water with your MXT, the MXT is GREAT at the beach, it was design to hunt beaches, among other detecting realms, but not to swim with, stay in shallow water and use common sense as far as the control box is concerned, DON"T DROP IT IN THE WATER, the coils are waterproof, make sure that the coil wire is tight, and you will be fine!!

I detect the beach all the time, never a problem.

Skip

Gold Seeker said:
There are plenty of people that hunt the beach with the MXT, unless you go swimming with it, and you take some precautions, you should not harm your MXT!!
Do not raise the coil higher than the control box, as water might run inside of the shafts and possibly get in the control box and fry it, you can help prevent this by "plugging" the inside of the lower shaft, but you should train yourself not to raise the coil and the covers aren't a bad idea to avoid the occasional splash.

The above is only if you go in the water with your MXT, the MXT is GREAT at the beach, it was design to hunt beaches, among other detecting realms, but not to swim with, stay in shallow water and use common sense as far as the control box is concerned, DON"T DROP IT IN THE WATER, the coils are waterproof, make sure that the coil wire is tight, and you will be fine!!

I detect the beach all the time, never a problem.

Skip

Good for you so far.

Sooner or later just ONE wrong move will ruin the machine. A major part of fun is taken away having to keep in mind all the time about the danger. I tried and decided to invest in the peace of mind. An excellent slightly used PI PRO can be bought now after start of Dual Field. Many THers upgrade. Good time to buy used PI PRO I think.

I've hunted the beach with my MXT for 3 years. I don't hunt deeper than a foot of water and the dry sand. I use a sandwich bag over the panel and a clear plastic bag over the control box. The bag is the size you get at the checkout counter. I tape it shut at the front of the box. I had adjust the controls right through the bag and is better than the dusk covers. Rob

Boy, that sounds familiar!!! ;) And the price is right too! Yes, I use the same as Rob. HH to all, Nancy

Thanks folks, sometimes it does rain in Oregone and I was thinking about a plastic bag.
Never thought about the ocean spray when at the beach but was just reminded.
Those bags in the produce dept. might work just fine and the price is right. :thumbup:
Greydigger