Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Quick Draw 2 depth?

ABCDetector

I was wondering if any of you quick draw 2 owners have found any coins beyond 4 inches.
I seem to have trouble finding anything besides large metal more than 4 inches down.:ranting:

Hi,
Yes I have. I found a dime at 8" and a small child's ring ( not gold) in around 10".I also found several coins at all depths in between. Happy hunting.

Don't have a Quick Draw, I have a Sharpshooter II. I found a silver quarter at about 5 inches. Use an 8 inch coil. Usually anything I find deeper is iron or steel. Most of my finds so far are between 1 to 3 inches.

hi abc. i have the pioneer 202, and recovered a 1937 quarter last year at 10", a 1773 spanish 2 reale at 8", and a dateless large cent at around 8". most finds will be in the 2" - 6" range. i usually run sens. up as high as ground conditions allow and disc. around 9 o'clock - that way, i don't miss much.
i hope you are using good headphones. you'll need them to recover your deeper and older targets. the "whisper" or faint signals you occasionally hear are well worth digging. coins start becoming faint in the 7" or deeper area. hope it helps, and hh,

That's impressive depth Gray ghost. I am always on the look out for those whisper signals you talk about.
Would that coin depth be with the 8" or 10" coil. Just curious. I always read your posts as I have recognized
and try to learn from your experience.

hi gene. thanks for the good words. i went and bought the 10" magnum coil off ebay for 40 bucks, and it was as though i had bought a new machine. the 10" coil better fits the way that i hunt - lots of fields, woods, and old foundations. i'm willing to put up with some trash. it's a given with any machine.
i don't hunt parks, rec areas or tot lots at all. they don't offer up the types of finds that i like to make. so, when i get good signals out in the middle of a field, or in the middle of the woods, then there's a good chance it's something good... or a shotgun shell. i have to dig all shells, 'cause they sound just like an indian cent, a civil war bullet, or a good button. they're all in the same range.
some people seem confused about the reality of "whisper" signals. they are hard to pinpoint but usually sound off in at least two directions of the "x". it requires a little more patience and digging, but it's worth it. many ignore such signals. it helps to run low disc. and high sens. after a good rain, i'm the first one out the door! hh, and thanks,

Thanks for the reply and good info Gray Ghost. I suspected it was with a 10" coil so I just had to ask.
Sounds like you hunt a lot like I do. Just makes my day when I bring one of those whisper signals up
to the light of day. Makes me feel like I found something that many passed right over.
A real confidence builder for sure. I hunt mostly sports fields now in search of gold jewelry so I am
well acquainted with digging my share of trash.....maybe more than my share. I know that gold jewelry
can come in almost anywhere on the display but I really key in on the foil range. That's where I find
those small ladies rings, some of which are very nice. Not too deep for the most part, most less than 4".
I have heard or read somewhere that you had to send your detector back to First Texas in order for them
to match the 10" coil to the detector you are using. Is that what you did ? I am really curious about this as
I have heard nothing but good things about the 202 and am thinking about getting one. Being a jewelry
hunter I may not even need a meter but it is kind of nice to know the approximate range a target might
be in. Like I said I really, really like that foil range. I have been detecting for a very long time and
believe it or not I never have had a Bounty Hunter. They must be good though from what I am reading
here. I believe a lot of people are kind of into the depth thing. I don't need extreme depth where I hunt,
just reliable performance.
There is a lot of good stuff less than 6" deep. I have seen it with my own eyes.
Sorry for this long post but I just wanted you to know that I really appreciated your reply as I know you
are a guy that has been doing this for awhile and knows what you are doing. Thanks - Gene

why, thankyou for the nice comments. same here, gene. i just simply unhooked the 8" coil, and put on the 10" myself. only took a couple of minutes, using black tape to affix the coiled wire to the pole. i don't like using tie wraps because there's a chance the pliers could miss the cord and cut it. it got me before. with black tape, coil changes are quick.
my 8" coil has been collecting dust ever since. i think it's more about the way and how we detect that should dictate which coil to use. i gained another average 3" of depth overnight. we have good ground in my part of central va., so the 10" does very well with it. i haven't bought the 4" coil, it's just too small for me. they find trash too!
as long as your plug in on your control box is compatible, you should have no trouble. the larger coil has done me a world of good. the only real drawback is in that if the coil gets super wet, then falsing starts. hh,

Thanks for the reply Gray Ghost. Don't know where I heard or saw that the 10" coil had to be matched to the detector at the factory.
Well, you certainly settled that issue. Thank You. I have good ground here too in Central Florida and the 10" coil should work out
for me just like it has for you. More depth, but just as important to me, more ground coverage. When you get to looking at the big
sports fields that I hunt and look down at that 8" coil I just have to wonder what have I got myself into. But little by little the field gets
hunted. I never get in a hurry but the 10" coil will definitely be an improvement on these fields. Will just try and keep the coil dry.
I use the velcro straps myself but black tape is a good choice too.
Thanks again for your help you have definitely got me going on the right track now.

Good hunting to you and to all that may read this !

Gene

So I got my coil a little wet, not deep but just in a puddle but still enough the I got lots of false readings for 3 days so far. Any thoughts on weather it will get better or is it messed up?

i just ordered my 10" magnum coil for my quick draw2 for 40$ off ebay with free shipping! i think i'll now have the ultimate machine for the money!:bounty: great thread

Hey Guy's
Great thread.I got a Question.With the 10'coil,How accurate is pin pointing.I mean it took me a week to master pinpointing with the 8'coil ,Thanks

I just bought a Quick Draw II and can not wait untill spring to start hunting. I also bought a 10" and a 4" coil for it so I will be ready for anything. I am glad I found this site for future question. Jimmy G

I also just purchased a Quick- Draw 2 (first time metal detecting) Can't start until the snow leaves. I need to buy ear phones and digging tool. What are the best items to buy?

Never really found pennies, but for some reason , have found dimes up to 8 and 10 inches, and I mean plenty of dimes. Aluminum cans up to 18 inches

Stay out of Auto Notch it realy seems to kill the depth.
Low Disc, Medium Sens.
It took me a while to figure this detector out even though i have a Tesoro with a manual ground Balance.
QD2 is a good Detector just takes time to learn it.

Happy Holidays to all,a good friend of mine has sold bought of his Whites detectors and keep his Quick draw 2. The whites models were pretty recent models. I don't remember the model numbers,the cache that he found with the QD2 is truly amazing. He has been detecting here is So.Cal. the ground is very dry and hard. Take care Eagleman

Hi Gray Ghost. I have a Quick Draw 2 and have the 8" coil but really am thinking about getting the 10". But my real question is, how do you detect whisper signals with the Quick Draw 2? It seems to me like the signals are always the same volume. I have sometimes heard a nice high pitched signal but cant find it again, or can only find it a few times. Is this a whisper signal?
Thanks, reading your posts have been very helpful to me.