Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question

rbholt80

Does anyone have a good way to find swimming holes other than driving around and asking.
gas is just to expensive to waist on long trips to lakes without having an idea of places to hunt around

You can try google earth on your computer. I use it quite a bit.
Bunker

Lol yea i use it to but with all the lakes down here in texas all shore lines look like swimming
One lake is down by 83 feet

Google earth is great!

I mainly use our state Library online search of historic photos and that gets you in the ballpark, including the photo where everyone was sitting with natural landmarks to pinpoint the spot. then I hit google earth to confirm spot or look for old building 'scars' on the ground..

Hit the net and find as many online resources as you can and do your research when the weather is no good for detecting.

Historical groups are great too, rock up at a meeting, tell them what you do, and most will give you ideas. (they want to show off their historical knowlage)

Any old person you see usually will know a spot they went to when they were kids, just spark up a conversation and see where it goes.

Research is the key to frequent and great finds, it will pay off I promise.

Good Luck

What part of Texas are you from? I was stationed down in Kingsville while in flight school.
Bunker

Don't forget those launching ramps RB. Sorry to hear about the drought conditions down there. Good luck. HH :minelab:

If you can get a topo map of the lakes you may be interested in. Most lake topo maps show swimming areas.....Walmart or sporting goods stores usually have them for sale......Jack

Find a source of old maps.

Then do a map overlay in Google Earth.

You'll be surprised at what use to be there years ago and what is there today

I found my last silver in a school soccer field that showed a house back in the 1940's

Actually I found a silver dime and a 1936 buffalo nickel.

I love Goggle Earth with map overlays.