Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question to refresh my mind about some older coils.

ejudasf

Hello all.

Currently have an excal II with a huge NEL 14 x 10 coil. It's not heavy, but it is uncomfortable in the surf. My previous Excal had a WOT 12.

Now I want an 8 inch tornado coil. My very first Excal was the 800.

I have an 8 inch Detech concentric coil and a 5 x 7 Joey coil.

Are either of these 2 coils, waterproof for the surf? If not, can either be made 'water proof' by cracking one open and filling with epoxy? Both coils feel like they are hollow empty and could possibly be filled with epoxy.

As always, thanks for reading.

ed

I was about to post a 'Wanted to buy' ad, but will wait to see if I receive any posts on this. Also, may be willing to trade coil for coil.

Post a picture of the coils, been awhile since I seen those.
Honestly I would suggest finding either a stock 800 coil or a old Sunray. The 800 coil is 7.5 inches and the Sunray is a full 8 inches. I had a detech 5 inch and I know it was not water proof, it was white and looked like a hocky puck. Could I have made it water proof, I would say yes. Your best is finding a DD. I would put out a WTB..

Hello all.

Currently have an excal II with a huge NEL 14 x 10 coil. It's not heavy, but it is uncomfortable in the surf. My previous Excal had a WOT 12.

Now I want an 8 inch tornado coil. My very first Excal was the 800.

I have an 8 inch Detech concentric coil and a 5 x 7 Joey coil.

Are either of these 2 coils, waterproof for the surf? If not, can either be made 'water proof' by cracking one open and filling with epoxy? Both coils feel like they are hollow empty and could possibly be filled with epoxy.

As always, thanks for reading.

ed

I know the Joey coil is not waterproof , but water resistant and have heard of some way of making them waterproof by making sure where the cable goes into the coil is well sealed. I had a concentric coil I wouldn't use as I tried 2 on my Sovereign and it was not impressive, but this was back a few year ago when they came out, so if they still make them they may be different now.
I agree with oldBeachnut as you would be better off selling the coils you have and find a 8 inch Tornado coil as they work very good, that is if you can find one. I have one myself that I bought 5 years ago that was used 1 time but still havent used it myself and may sell it ulness I am still unable to detect soon.

I hope you can find a good coil for your Excallibur as those BBS detectors are awesome .

Rick

Here is the images of the 2 coils. I didn't realize the Joey coil is serial #0003.

I have since contacted a CL seller who does have an 8 inch coil, but I will have to buy the Sovereign machine with an additional coil. I still don't know the price, nor the exact model.

His post said he had a Sovereign for sell, along with some other machines, but no pic of the Sov. I asked if he would sell only a coil, and he said he didn't want to split it up.

I have a GT and usually use the BBS 10, but these other 2 smaller coils work just as good.

Attachments

• detec.01.jpg
    detec.01.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 15
  • detec.02.jpg
    detec.02.jpg
    648.5 KB · Views: 17
  • joey.01.jpg
    joey.01.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 19
  • joey.02.jpg
    joey.02.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 20
I know the Joey coil is not waterproof , but water resistant and have heard of some way of making them waterproof by making sure where the cable goes into the coil is well sealed. I had a concentric coil I wouldn't use as I tried 2 on my Sovereign and it was not impressive, but this was back a few year ago when they came out, so if they still make them they may be different now.
I agree with oldBeachnut as you would be better off selling the coils you have and find a 8 inch Tornado coil as they work very good, that is if you can find one. I have one myself that I bought 5 years ago that was used 1 time but still havent used it myself and may sell it ulness I am still unable to detect soon.

I hope you can find a good coil for your Excallibur as those BBS detectors are awesome .

Rick
If he doesn’t buy the 8” tornado coil I will.

Once you get things figured out.

The guy's name is Tony. He has an older XS unit. He has a 10" and 8" BBS coils. He won't split up the coils. He's in Ohio. Spoke with him on the phone. He's a good guy.

So I am back to square 1. I'll be posting a WTB.

@Rick(ND) if you offer to sell me the coil, can you send me a price with shipping? Thanks.

The guy's name is Tony. He has an older XS unit. He has a 10" and 8" BBS coils. He won't split up the coils. He's in Ohio. Spoke with him on the phone. He's a good guy.

So I am back to square 1. I'll be posting a WTB.

@Rick(ND) if you offer to sell me the coil, can you send me a price with shipping? Thanks.
Could do what I did to get a FZ-12 coil for my CZ6a for beach work ... it was in a package with a CZ5, the FZ-12 and the 8 inch coil. I bought the package then turned right around and sold the CZ5 with the 8 inch coil and kept the FZ-12.

Reactions: cw3
Could do what I did to get a FZ-12 coil for my CZ6a for beach work ... it was in a package with a CZ5, the FZ-12 and the 8 inch coil. I bought the package then turned right around and sold the CZ5 with the 8 inch coil and kept the FZ-12.
If I didn’t already have three 8” tornado coils I would do that.

I’ve noticed a lot of people are flipping stuff all the time.

I thought about flipping a rig. But I might have found a coil out of Michigan. It will be the regular BBS 8 and not a Tornado coil.

Bad news! The coil sent was an Explorer 8-inch coil. I assumed, since the CL ad was about a Sovereign with 2 coils, I was buying a Sovereign coil.

He assumed that since he had already sold the Sovereign and still had an Explorer for sale, that I was wanting to buy an Explorer coil.

We agreed to a refund with the return of the coil. I gotta wait till Tuesday to ship it back.

On a positive note, one of our members contacted me about selling an original BBS 8-inch coil. Still gotta wait till Tuesday to get this deal started. Lesson learned.