Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question; ( Placer deposits)

When searching for placer gold in a dry creek bed,does it matter if i am using a PI or vlf detector?
My thoughts are, with a vlf detector and manual ground balance i would be able to pinpoint the more mineralized soils such as black sand where gold can be found.
If i decide to go with a automatic ground tracking detector such as the mxt would it track out the mineralized soil so i could not find the deposits?
Any books on this subject would be great. please steer me in the right direction Thank you.

vlf and PI detectors can both find black sand. PI's will penetrate deeper than vlf's. If the ground is very mineralized the vlf will have problems and sound off as if everything were black sand. If the creekbed is deep, they usually are, a PI will work better. However, if you are in a gold producing area that has had recent rains and the dry creek had torrents of flood water running down it there may be some shallow gold.

For areas along creeks and streams with exposed bedrock and shallow gravels, the advantages of a PI are minimal. Often if this is an area worked by the old timers for gold, it will be trashy and therefore another reason to consider a discriminating detector like a VLF.

That said, I will say that searching for black sands is a poor way to prospect. I know that many detector makers tout this in their sales literature, but in practical terms, it does not work. You will not find prospectors saying this is how they found gold - because it is impractical and does not work. There are many reasons for iron concentrations, most of them have nothing to do with gold. Hot spots and mineralized ground are common enough and you will find these aplenty with your VLF whether you intend to or not. Most will not be associated with gold. If you are looking to find gold, consider the ability of your detector to find gold.

Chris

Thanks for responding to my post,
Ok I'm just a little bit worried about the automatic tracking on the detectors.I thought the PI detector would track out the minerals in the soil and therefore i would be missing any gold that might be present.

If you will look up the old and new threads on all the gold forums you'll find a pattern of most of the gold found with detectors in creek beds to have been found on exposed bedrock as Reno Chris alluded to.If your in the motherlode country there is much trash in the gravels,with an occasional artifact to be found.If your thinking GMT,it is the perfect thing for checking quartz veins that cross dry or wet creek beds,especially after a stormy winter season where the banks have been eroded.....Dave

There is an excellent analysis/discussion on this very subject on the Alaska Gold Forum. Steve from AMD has made some great points of interest for all detector owners.Tons a au 2 u 2-John