Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question on EXP II ..When to dig

JimmyD

I bought a used Explorer II and have been trying to learn it. I used the Learn mode and scanned in a bunch of coins. I went to a trashy site and am getting a lot of high pitched signals that are coming in 21 30 or something like this. I usually only dig 00 30 but my question is should I ignore the first number and go for the sound and second number?

Yes, in fact Id say dig everything until you can answer that question for yourself. It wont take but a few targets of each type before you start learning whats what and this way u wont miss the goodys

another secret,lower your sensitivity!all new comes try to use max not to miss gold!!! with lower sensitivity like 20 or in iron 16 manual you will hear more clear different t\targets and your explorer will show more clear what is under coil. and make less discrimination its will help a bit buy making faster detector to work. good luck and dont forget to scratch coil in to the ground.

The way I learned the Explorer II was to use some iron mask only and dig every signal in the upper right hand quadrant of the screen. It doesn't take long to start recognizing targets. Using learn won't work for deeper targets or targets in proximity to other targets. You'll just get clipped tones that are confusing, when in reality you want the cursor to bounce around which gives you more information. As far as numbers..... don't use them - use the smart screen. It seems awkward at first, but you'll understand it very quickly.

Whatever works shambler and using both really helps me to determine to dig or not...Guess that why Minelab gives us the choice and the ability to change quickly from numbers to smart screen..indeed the movement on the smart screen tells us a lot so dial in the tonal aspect and we have a 3 edged sword...

Problem is, you'd be dancing with the target too long when you could be moved on to the next one. The EXII either has digits or the smart screen, they're not there at the same time - you have to scroll through the learn, edit, smart, digital each time. Dig it already! :look: I always say if you spend more than 20 seconds analyzing it, you're wasting your time. You can't rub it into a good target and if it's questionable, you might want to just give it a check with your eyes.

My point JimmyD is the numbers aren't telling you anything that you aren't getting from the smart screen and with the smart screen you're not having to remember 10 numbers for an Indian head penny at 4" and 10 different numbers for a Indian head penny at 8". You just see what the cursors doing along with what it sounds like. It's very intuitive after you've dug a few targets.

I agree - the numbers suck - audio is king - if it's repeatable and sounds and pinpoints like a coin sized target you probably have something good under ur coil. Look at the Smart Screen as a secondary indication. With the SE Smart Screen also works in pinpoint mode to give you a last piece of info that you may want to weigh in.

how would max sensitivity keep you from missing gold. i can see where lower disc. would find more gold but not higher sensitivity. thanks.

Thank you all. I think I get it now. i will go back to the factory preset and forget about the learned mode until I know more. I will also use the smart screen and turn down the sensitivity. I will let you know how it goes. By the way, I have only used it about 6 times and have two silver quarter finds. Now if I could get used to the weight. It is heavier and not as balanced as my MXT.