Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question: How do you store your detectors?

Old Sox

When I first started this hobby, I used a borrowed detector for one day, that was all that I needed. The following day I had my own. Since then, I have accumulated a few detectors and was wondering how they are supposed to be stored. I presently have them leaned in the corners but am running out of corners in my designated room in the house. Would hanging them from coated hooks on a rack by the coils be o.k.? Thanks for the help

When not in use my units are stored in a closet in their original box with out batteries.Even the ones I don't have original boxes I find a card board box this absorbs moister and keeps the dust off my investment.

I built a wood hanger for them in my basement..Take batteries out, clean the machines well, and it's worked for me. I put wood dowels that are 6" long and hang them with the coil end over dowels..On my closed type coil I use the arm strap to hang up detector. Works good !!!

I once had a plastic lower rod bend and take a set when I stood a detector against a wall, and it leaned to one side.

Had to go through a process of leaning it the other way to straighten it!
hh

I keep mine in the spare room closet assembled. For the ones I don't use often, I pull the batteries. Part of the shelf in the closet stores all the extra coils and shafts. The rest of the closet space has modular compartments to store the headsets, pinpointers, batteries and battery chargers, pouches etc. and the digging tools, trowels and shovels are in the garage.
Don't like the idea of storing them in the garage with all the high summer heat and winter freezing temps. They deserve a home in the home anyway.

Thanks for the replies, I need to get them hung up and out of the way from my kamikaze 3 yr old, that's for sure!!

I store mine an a shelf I built. Just make sure it's at least 10" wide to accommodate the coil so it doesn't fall off of the shelf. I can stock 6 detectors that way fully extended and all the coils, batteries, extras, etc... It uses up a bit of wall space, but in the basement who cares.

n/t

:cool: Here is a storage tip. When you take the batteries out insert a silicone bead bag into the battery compartment. This will absorb any humidity or moisture. I take very good care of my machines. I clean them after every use. I have only had one repair in 20 years of detecting. Best wishes, DF.

It can get to 115* here in the summer months... so that probably had something to do with it, when it leaned...
Fine now, though...
hh

I hate to admit but my two MD live in the back seat of my truck along with alot of my other tools and things. I know it isn't to good but that way they are with me all the time and if I get 10 free minutes and I am in a decent area I detect. Of course I am a self employed contractor and spend more time in my truck going from job to job than I do in my own living room.

n/t

I just put it in the corner.

We just got nailed with a big Storm and it's cold as he$$.......Some good old heat would feel real good !!!

I usually keep mine in the trunk of the car unless I know it's going to be freezing cold or I'm not going to use it for a few days. I go out for a couple hours a lot after work.