Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question: Have any of you folks ever used a magnet to find................

Kelley (Texas)

anything in the water of a lake or creek? If you have or know of anyone that has, how about posting a short story about it? Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

My dad had a magnet similar to the one you posted Fred. We used to take it out in the lake and see what we could find. Mostly old beer cans and other junk, pipes, wire etc. We did manage to find a trolling motor that was lost by some fishermen once. Dang thing was too heavy to get into the boat so we dragged it back to shallow water. What we were looking for was the boiler or pieces of it from Samuel Morey's boat. You might not know it, but he engineered the FIRST steamboat, not Robert Fulton. Fulton was apprenticed to him and stole his plans and got it patented first. Made old Sam so mad, he sank his boat somewhere in Lake Morey that's named for him. Never did find anything though!

Dave

..."giant" magnets advertised in the back of a Superman comic book in the early 60's.

I didn't see any future in collecting rusty iron then, and I still don't.

The things I keep when metal detecting are the things that are not attracted to magnets. The only one who makes out here is the guy that sells the magnets.

Hmmmmm, I should apply this logic to my tackle box. (Whoever heard of a "powershad" anyway??????) :shrug: <><

AJ

I was thinking along the lines of possibly finding some fishing tackle, maybe a rod and reel that fell over the side of the boat or off the pier. I figured that I could kill two birds with one stone, set a few poles for fishing and while I waited for a bite, pull the magnet through the water to see if I could find something interesting. Better yet, get Debbie to watch the poles for a bite and it would free me up whole hog to play with the magnet. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

agree you will not find much of value unless you know where something was dropped overboard. I think many Canadian coins are magnetic but ours are not. Maybe some were but I don't think so. The Steelies of the 40's were but they are not much good coming out of the water.

I do think it would be fun to drag them along docks though because there are a heck of a lot of tools lost around them. I have found plenty and if they are Craftsman tools, I exchange them at Sears with no problem.

Heck, go toss it off a dock and see what happens. Tie a dang rope to it though :D

that little sis of yours, won't you? She needs a big hug about now and you are just the man to give it to her from us:super:

I have a dandy that I made a while back. Luckily, Canadian coins are magnetics ,even the loons and twoons. It does not take a long time to make the dollars add up.

Knives, fishing geear....even a jewellry box with 4 gold rings in it.

Here is a shot of one afternoon using tha magnet and a scoop. Almost all of the money and the knife came from the magnet

All the best

M

...Linda will be back in the saddle pretty soon now. I expect she is still taking a bumpy ride or two, physically and emotionally, however, it is getting better.

I believe she will have a story or two for us soon. <><

AJ

She is in my thoughts

All the best

M