Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question for Royal or George: What brand GPS do you recommend? ..................

Kelley (Texas)

Can you buy one that has an actual road map instead of a picture road map? I looked at some this afternoon and came away totally confused. I could care less if one talks, and I do not want to use one for a cell phone, or music player. I just want a simple electronic map GPS, one that has an easy to see TV screen, one that will tell me where I am located. It will be carried in the saddle bag and only used when necessary. Any suggestions? Oh! It has to be simple to operate...I do not want something that I can not figure out how to use. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Those things come in all sizes and shapes, all different size TV screens, some will talk to you and tell you where to turn, and goodness knows what else they will do. I am beginning to think that I should just continue using my folded gas station map that I have had for many years. The top right section is missing, but I never travel to East Texas and have no use of that missing part. The GPS thing is just one of the many, many modern new inventions...so many different things that you just about need a four year college degree to figure out how to use them all. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I did a quick search back 8 weeks and did not see a shopping list. Tell me more....... Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

You can load maps from all over North America [possibly the rest of the world too but I am not certain of that}

Keep an eye open for Royals and Georges response.... But I do love my Garmin.

Fair winds

Mikie

see if I can help. A lot depends on how you want to use it. If just for road travel there are many that will do it. If you want to do more than road travel like Geocaching, or hiking in the woods or figuring acreage, then there are different types of GPS to do that. Garmin makes a very good GPS as does Magellan and many others. My choice is Garmin when it comes to hand helds for geocaching as the company backs its product up very well, offers a lot of different software for them. Most upper end hand held GPS come with a base map on them for land and roads. The basemap has the entire USA on it but usually the main roads but not the rest of the little roads. The same in Cities, unless you get a good software program for roads, the citys roads are not that great. If roads are what you are interested in and I think that is your main interest. For easy of operation, I would suggest a handheld automotive unit. There are many of those to pick from, but from what you said, you don't want all the bells and whistles, just the roads and simple use. Lots of people making those now that have a very good base map with very good road coverage for the back roads. These can be had for from $100 dollars to $600 dollars or more. Right now there are a lot of them on sale new for entry level but very nice, just for roads for $120 dollars at Staples, Wal-marts and other electronic stores.

the Garmins like Royal and I have are high end units but they are made to do more than roads and have a lot of others things they will do. The learning curve on them is much steeper and how I've picked up most of mine used as others got them and just wanted a road GPS or Automotice GPS and nothing else.... Do go and put your hands on some....See the size, the ease of use, etc. The make some with batteries that are rechargable and some that just plug in the lighter socket. I personally prefer the ones that will use Double AA batteries as they are easy to get, no charging needed and I can have a pack of them on me for anywhere. Its not much use to you if the battery dies and no spares or it needs to be recharged only and you can't out in the boonies where you like to go. If you have a lighter socket on your bike your golden even there. check out this link to

http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/c2_Technology-GPS-Accessories_10106_Products_10912_12292_Business_Supplies_1_10051_Technology

Here is a link to staples to start with...They have a lot of them and one for $119 bucks that might be all you need. Again, there you can hold and feel them, and have them show you what it does. Have them bring it up or better you bring it up for your area and see if the map is accurate enough for your area and shows paved and dirt roads. The sound, you can normaly turn off on all of them.

Even refurbished ones are fine.... I have a couple of them and they have never acted up. EBAY has them also. Wal-marts has them, as does Radio Shack. They all work pretty much the same with pretty close to the same accuracy.

Here is another link and store I use and they carry them all.... http://www.thegpsstore.com/Automotive-GPS-C1.aspx Good place to read for info.....

start there and if you have more questions, feel free to ask...........Geo

very nice unit. I have one of those here also as well and my wife uses it on her horse as its nice and small, runs on 2 AA batteries and has good battery life. I keep mine for backup or for someone else to use with me. Some have trouble with the side button curve or like a larger screen. He can pick those up used off a couple of Geocaching sites for $100 bucks, even less on EBAY. Thats my only complaint with Garmin is the make new models almost yearly and drive down the price on ours yet often they do little more, just a few more bells..which in many cases are useless or for me, useless because I can't hear them.

Geo

I am still confused, but slowly getting an idea of what they are all about. I just want a basic model, one that uses 2 AA batteries instead of rechargeable batteries, and it needs to have a good detailed map. Thanks for the information, let me digest it for a day or two. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I suspect that I will be spending some time on Google and eBay. It appears that the Garmin 60C would be one that I need to look at. Again, many thanks. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Its the one on the right. Really does a nice job, good color even in sunlight. For me, my eyes are not the best, so unless I have glasses on, the text is to small for me to read, so I need to have my glasses with me, if I don't, its useless. The other down side for me here is it has the patch antenna... In heavy tree cover overhead, it will loose satellites. Lookign where you are in open land, that would not be a problem.... The street map on the 60C for a basemap is pretty decent. I like mine, but in the meantime I purchased 5 others on EBAY in good deals to overcome what I thought to be their shortfall. Once you decide all the uses, then it makes it easier to make a purchase......

If a staples near by, go check out this one.

http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/p16_Portable-Automotive-GPS_196105_Business_Supplies_10051_true_SC3:CG59:CL140774