Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question for John or Bill

billm

Hello,
Does the Scorpion have a full range discriminator. e.g can you turn it up to the point where screw tops are eliminated.

Thank you
billm

As John stated plus most screw caps can be dialed out, some can't. Screw caps are the bane of all detectors.

Bill

G'day Bill.
If you are interested in knocking out those screw caps and still hitting the $1 and $2 coins, I was carrying out some experiments with the 1500 last night with some interesting results. I've been trying to find a way to get the best results. I have also been playing about with the Ace over the last week, which has also resulted in some interesting results at sorting screw caps from coins. As you have the 1350, the Ace's results will most apply to your situation.
As the Ace will be closer to the results that you are looking for, I'll start there.
For a long time, I've found that the pinpoint fade has been a good indicator that a target is a coin or a screw cap, of which you probably already know, but what has made me sit up and pay attention over the last week, is using the side to side movement of the pinpoint to sort these targets out. A $2 coin has a much tighter pinpoint to a screw cap. the difference is black and white. Some screw caps that have had their sides folded in or are crushed up into a small ball will fool you in a side to side check but still give a longer fade off the inner toe of the coil when you pull it back towards yourself.
The $1 coin is a harder nut to crack due to it being a similar size to a screw cap. Although you can sometimes tell it apart from a screw cap in a side to side check, I've just discovered that if you detune the pinpoint (pressing it a second time while over the target) you will commonly lose the signal of a $1 coin but not a screw cap!!!:hot: I've haven't had much time to try this out in the field as yet but found it works from my tests at home.
THE SECRET TO MAKING THIS WORK is to have your coil at least 4+ inches away from the target! the same applies while using the imaging on the GTI 1500.
Again; with the GTI, with the coil at at least 3+ inches on all counts, with the $2 coin will lock into a size B. Sometimes you may get a brief size C show up but it will readily lock into size B. As with the Ace, the $1 coin is still a bit of a tough nut to crack, but I believe that I've cracked it.(again as I've only just discovered it, I haven't been able to try it in a field hunt situation as yet, but well worth playing around with. A $1 coin can lock in as a size B or size C target, or even bounce between the 2. Again the secret here, is to go over the target at at least 3+ inches while in pinpoint. When you are over the target, hit the pinpoint button a second time. With a $1 coin will will often lose the signal all together, or only get a one way signal. A screw cap will normally still give a two way signal!
Try it out for yourself, I'd be interested in how the 1350 goes.HH.
Mick Evans.

When you hit the pinpoint button on the GTI for the second time while over the target, a $1 coin will lock into size B and a screw cap will lock into size C. It was the Ace that loses the signal of the coin.
Sorry about that.
Mick Evans.

Hi Mick,
I have certainly have noticed how the $1 and $2 coins have much tighter signal drop off in pinpoint. The screw caps linger much longer. When they linger my suspicions are aroused and a quick probe with my screwdriver usually confirms a screw cap. There sure are some flattened ones that meter well,sound good and pinpoint well and are deep.:veryangry:
Off to Hill End tomorrow chasing a bit of yellow.

billm