Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question for John-Edmonton (or any one)

ThTx

I have an Infinium with the 10 X 14 DD and 5 X 10 DD coils. I am thinking of using it in search of a cache that includes old guns as well as coins in a pretty highly mineralized area. My question is should I get a mono coil for it or use the DD?

The 10x14 mono only gets slight better depth, but is more sensitive to smaller items. Like an inch better depth on a jefferson nickle buried at 11 inches. Not much to me, the best part of that coil is its ALOT lighter than the stock coil. It is my most used coil and covers alot of ground. Will hit those Iron targets and coin caches your describing, deep.

Alan

Thanks for the advice, Alan. My concern is that I am going to be in a place with pretty high mineralization. Would you still recommend the mono coil in an area like that?

The mono works well in high mineralization. One time though, I found its match in Georgia where bright red clay mix with hot iron soil gave it a run for its money. Lucky I tuned it and kept on tuning it and got it where it was ok, that I could tell mineral from metal. This mountain I speak of is"off limits" for a VLF machine. They are useless there. The DD would have been better but I didnt have it. That is the only area where it was a challenge from Georgia to very hot California and Oregon. This Georgia soil was hands down the hottest, but the mono did fine after some tuning. A little noisy, but kept on finding stuff. This was an old Civil War Battle area I was excited to hunt with a PI after all these years of VLF's being done in there. I'd get one of I were you, great coil that 10x14 mono.

Alan

The big mono and DD have comparable depth ability. The mono will work in some seriously bad iron mineralisation. The DD will be slightly quieter and will find whatever the mono will find. The mono is light and slightly more sensitive than the DD on coin size targets, you can swing it all day. The DD is heavy but runs smoother in bad ground than the mono. If I had a strong arm I would probably opt for the DD if the ground was extremely iron mineralised and I was looking for large items. It's a bit of a toss up between the two; either way you won't go wrong.

Thanks for the input. I will go with the DD this weekend and try to get a mono soon.

Sounds good!:thumbup:Best of luck to ya in searching for that cache.:detecting:Sounds exciting!
Yeah, whenever I use that stock 10"x14" double "D" search coil I use a bungee/chest harness to help with the weight of the search coil. As mentioned, that 10"x14" mono search coil is much lighter, gets slightly better depth and is more sensitive to smaller targets. If I were you, I'd start off with the 10"x14" mono and see how it handles the mineralization. Just keep that stock search coil in your new Garrett backpack and switch to it if ya need to. That's what I would do!:wiggle: Keep us posted!:garrett:Happy Hunting!:)