Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question for gold jewelry hunters.

CliffHanger

My question is.

I would be very interested in knowing what brand/model detector serious gold jewelry hunters are using most.
If you could only have one unit for hunting gold jewelry on land what would it be? And how does the Cortez stack up?

I am a happy Lobo owner and I'm thinking of buying a Cortez. I recently read a review on the Cortez. In part it said,

I quote. "Ten pulltabs were sampled. The average reading was 40 and the overall range was from 30 to 46.
The ten gold rings, all small to medium size and 10K to 14K, produced an average ID reading of 16, with an overall range from 4 to 35."

Sounds great! Right off the bat lots pulltabs are eliminated when hunting for small to medium gold rings. But where do larger gold items and foil come into the equation? What will their average ID readings be? Are we almost back to the square one heading of 'Dig it all'?

I have always received outstanding replies and great information to my questions in this forum. Especially from JB(SM) and Mike Hillis.

Thank you all

CliffHanger

Eyeball ID is the ONLY positive ID. I don't think there is a machine out there with a positive ID for anything. I have found gold from foil to upper pulltab which is prime pull tab territory. I found my only Buffalo nickle, in the ground, went away past mickle, almost didm't dig couse might have been a tab, glad I did. I read that an estamated 1,000 pulltabs are recovered for every piece of gold jewelry. Heck even nuggett hunters find alot of lead shot and bullets looking for gold and that is out in the middle of nowhere. We just have to tough it out and put up with the trash!!!

My favorite gold machine is the Tesoro DeLeon. I should think the Cortes would even be better (more features).

With the DeLeon, I set my discrimination at just below foil (I accept foil). I then USUALLY dig all good sounding signals ill regardless of the TID readings.

However, if I must limit digging, I check all good signals by turning up the discrimination from just below foil to the mid-way point between TAB and Zinc Penny. If I still get a solid signal at this setting there's a very good chance it's some form of gold. This is how I dug a solid gold chain last week. The TID signal bounced back and forth between TAB and Zinc. Most TABS hold pretty solid on TAB if the coil swings are at the correct speed and distance.

The secret to using Tesoro's TID is correct coil speed and swing distance. Once learned (few ever do) the TID is amazingly accurate down to about 7 inches on coin sized targets and down to about 30 inches on large metal relics (cannonballs, horseshoes, large buckles, horse bits, etc.).

The reading on the TID is determined by the size of the object, soil, coil speed and swing distance, metal type, discrimination and sensitivity setting.

One must learn how the detector reacts at certain sites at certain settings to be able to intelligently use the Tesoro TID. Like I wrote above, very few owners ever do this. Most just ignore the TID and go by sound only and eventually sell the TID machine.

All Tesoro

I need to find his email address and get you two together. His weapon of choice is a Golden Sabre II, but here lately he has been trying a few others. I talked to him about trying a Cortes. Don't know if he has yet or not because I would like to hear his opinion after he used one for a month cause I think he would like it for gold in the parks and athletic fields he hunts.

Let me go looking. I'll be in touch.

HH

Mike

Greg says the Tejon with the 17k frequency is the most sensitive to gold. The higher frequency being more sensitive to lower conductive metals such as gold. I know my Tejon has the best air test for gold of my 6 detectors. A thin gold chain doesn't even register on two top model's. I can tell you the Tejon really digs the nickles from way down under and was as deep as anything I have on a buried silver dollar test. My QXT once registered a Lg Tab that turned out to be a mans gold ring. Greg was telling me little gold nuggets bounce around from -30 up thru tabs, looks like the golden rule is beep dig.