Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question for anyone

gware12

Has anyone hunted the roadside with any luck. What about hunting the roadside around Historic places and Parks if the Department of Transportation gave permission? Any comments

Unless there has been a lot of foot traffic, there probably won't be any good finds. Seeing metal detectors that close to historic locations will probably get a few people growling.

Roadsides can be very good locations, depending on the the type of traffic, and the history of the road. This is especially true of dirt roads. I have found many older coins along the sides of old dirt roads, particularly ones that are maintained. That is when the road is more or less plowed to even out the surface, pushing older coins to the banks. On newer, paved roads you can expect to find a lot of litter tossed from cars. Sometimes you may find a road that has changed paths, for example Florida's A1A has many roads intersecting called Old A1A. This was the original path of A1A. If you are lucky you may find old cellar holes or abandoned buildings along these old roads. Road names can be clues as well. Road names such as Park St., Grove St, Burnt Mill Rd. are names that tell a story. Where was the park located? When did the mill burn? These are questions you should be looking for answers to.

Historic sites (and the adjacent land) are typically off limits, but if you are creative you can often get permission. I recently got involved with my local historic society. I made an arrangement to help them by promising to donate any item of historic significance related to the property or the area. Coins do not fall under this stipulation :angel:

I have hunted dirt roads in Fl. with great success. I have also studied where old churches and other old places were. If it was private property I would MD the dirt road nearby. My dirt road finds are: 1900, 1905 V nickel, 1902 quarter, 1839 cent, 1700 Chinese coin, 1907 Canadian quarter and a whole lot of wheat's. Oh yea, a nice fat 18 k gold ring dated 1945.

Where ever people have been there is always treasure left behind.