Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question for Ace 250 Users and one for those with Fisher CZs too

allhuntedout

Hot, humid and dry. Bad for bippin' Got to thinking about this Ace 250 - wanted a backup anyhow. Sent a check today for a used one. Thinking about how I'll use it. How about this? Quarter sniping - hit the parks and schoolyards with everything but quarters notched out and make my digging count, specifically with shallow "poppable" finds in mind. Quarters are big, easy to probe for. Anyone ever try this? I figure if I'm gonna sweat buckets, it darn well better be more than a penny under that coil. Once the weather breaks then it's back to dig all. If the weather doesn't change, then we hunt dimes, nickels, etc... until the pennies are the only thing left! I guess the question is... how accurate is the target id as far as denominations of coins?

Also, as a longtime Fisher CZ user, what am I going to find most different/annoying about this machine?

Well, I think it will work ok for you. Quarter snipping, you must have an area pretty much to yourself. We have a butt load of coinshooter folks out here and I think every dam one of them do that.

Now dimes and nickels, I think they go to fast and miss those. Quarter shooting around here would be like half dollar sniping, you turely wouldn't be digin much.

HH...............HDJ

The Ace 250 has excellent IDing........what ever its called. But whats your rush? I read a great article the other day about coin shooting in high discrimination. The writer,can't remember his name, Bill Bingo or something like that, called it the "Lazy Mode"
I also hate the heat. With a passion I might add. But I love detecting more. So i find a nice shady spot and I hunt the hell out of that shady spot in the "Jewel" mode. Sure trash pops up sometimes but you have to dig it to find the good stuff. My best find with the Ace 250 so far was in the pulltab range. A gold ring!
well I do know one thing. Your going to love that little yellow detector no matter what mode you use.

Don't worry, when the weather's tolerable I'll be back on "dig all" mode. I love detecting too, but the heat just wipes me out... plus if I clean out all those pesky quarters now, I won't have to dig 'em later! :) And shady spots don't help much these days with rock hard dry soil and high humidity even in the shade. Glad to hear the ID feature is excellent. Hopefully it will be all I expect. Now, just gotta find a good shady, moist place full of old coins... but until then...

I was a "HARDCORE" Fisher user 20 years on x and z series machines, most of it on the 1260x. The last years on a cz5 and a 1236. I really liked the cz5 on the beach and in play parks, like the sand holes around slides and swings. I was very frustrated with it in the grassy areas. Pinpointing for me was not a joy....

The weight was getting to me, don't get me wrong it is a great machine the cz5, so I looked around and everybody was raving about this ace250. I traded in my cz5 for a 250.

I have to point out that I had both machines for a few days to compare them back to back on the same targets. I can't say that the ace is a better machine but I believe that there are trade offs both ways. The Ace 250 can reach through the iron and trash like no tomorrow. I found one coin with an iron nail right up against it. It does however suffer a bit in depth, but IDing is spot on.

I have really enjoyed the 250 and don;t miss the cz too too much.

Yeah I tried this surface grazing the other day at a soccer pitch and really enjoyed it. I turned the sensitivity way down and went on for 4" and less, actually olny dug 2" with a probe only. I had a great time....don't apologise for being lazy it is a lot of fun to surface graze once in a while.

I can't. I tried but I can't. The Ace 250 always produces some jewelry for me in one form or another. No other detector that I have or owned did that. It made me a "Jewel-shooter". I know, sounds femmie, but I have clad coins all over the house as it is.

hmmmm. it takes just as much effort to bend over for gold as copper and zinc. Tell us, please, have you noticed anything special in how it responds to gold or how do you set up the unit for jewellry? I haven't appreciated any difference as of yet other than a ring on edge and that it will pick up the thinnest gold wire ring at lowest sens at 4".....very impressive.

I just set it on "jewelry" and listen for those repeatable signals...set the sen at about 5 bars. Some areas I can get six bars but thats rare. I don't know how that Ace 250 does it. But what my other detectors would call "iffy" the Ace says "dig up this one!" Balled up foil still fools her. And those 1.5" round foil liners that you find in larger caps give good signals also. I havent found any gold rings at this range yet. But I will. The mans larger gold ring that I did find was a perfect "nickle" reading. Funny part here is while I was digging it up I knew it wasn't a nickle or a pulltab. I knew it was a gold ring before I dug it up. Weird. If you haven't already done it read that field test mentioned on a earlier post. It clears up a lot of ace's strong points.

It gets back to dig everything that aint iron......I have been doing a bit of testing and find that gold rings laying flat stay pretty solidly in nickel or on the ring part of pull tab, while pull tabs tend to stay on the beaver tail or wander twixt ring and tail.